BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well by shear luck I will be away on business in the British Virgin Islands this weekend and was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience fly fishing for bonefish. Also I am looking to purchase a 7wt crosscurrent for the job and was looking for input from any members that may have cast one. I have a 7wt sage XP and love that rod so I was hoping for something that feels similar. Any info on flies and tactics would be much appreciated as well. I have done quite a bit of searching the web so I have a few fundamentals and was just looking for some input from members that may have a lot more experience than me.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not that I can help, as I only sit and dream of it. But if you can't get any first hand experience, I know Dave at M&Y has a ton.

Man wishin I was fishin down there...........

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Srethy, I have gone for bones a few times on the east coast of Mexico. A 7 weight rod will handle bones nicely, I use an 8 for those windy days on the flats. The reel and backing are important, I was shocked by my first bonefish. I was blind casting to some nervous water when the fish hit, the explosiveness of bonefish is incredible, it peeled me deep into my backing and I commented to the guide that I thought it was a heavy fish well two more runs like the first and a 14" bone came in, I was shocked and laughed my ass off it might have weighed a pound. Clousers and gotchas in tan and lighter colours have always worked best for me. Get good polarized glasses and watch for the nervous water and tailing fish. Have big fun, I'm jealous.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this was a business trip to the BVI but I did manage to get out for a few hours on the flats. No number of books can prepare you for what it is like to fish for bones. To say I looked like a newbie would have been an understatement. I have never hunted before in my life but i would think this is the closest thing to it.

I got off the plane where the guide was waiting to pick me up. From there we drove to the boats and then it was off to the flats. These flats were big areas of water that would range from 1-3 feet deep. According to the guide the best way to approach the fishing would be to wade so off we went. The action started pretty much right off the bat and I was not ready. Casting has to be pretty quick and accurate but if you rush too much chances are you will make a mistake and I certainly made a few. A few minutes in a bone was spotted traveling towards us and we were positioned upwind, I made my cast (new fly line) right where it should have been but the line smacked the waters surface the bone left the area at what seemed like 100mph. We kept walking the flats as rays and turtles lazily got out of the way and soon enough another bone was spotted as its tail just broke the surface, another hard cast another bone gone to the depths. This occurred a few more times but slowly I was improving. I eventually made a cast to a fish estimated at about 6 pounds as soon as my fly hit the water the fish moved to attack, two quick taps and I pull straight up to set the hook :wallbash: out pops the fly followed by a few profanities and we are back at it again. We are now approaching the end of the flat when all of a sudden my guide stats to turn a bit nutty (so i thought) until my attention was brought to the permit moving into casting distance. Now as far as I am concerned catching a permit is number 1 on my list of fishing things to do so... I start to get pretty nervous as my guide is getting out a crab pattern. I put on the fly and make my cast...well needless to say not the greatest cast but an even worse presentation the fly floats to the bottom like a leaf falling from a tree and that is not the desired effect and my dream fish swims off the end of the flat not to be seen again. Well it is getting a bit late now so we must start the trek back but I have not lost all hope. On the way back a pair of bones are spotted cruising over a sandy area of the flat, they move into casting range and my heart starts to pound, I have missed a few opportunities this day but this won't be one of them. I make my cast a few feet in front of the fish immediately pull in a few strips then two small taps and BAM I set the hook. Well the battle that ensued is one I will never forget, the first run must have taken 150 yards off the reel at 25 mph this was followed by an equally impressive second run, and then a third. The fish was brought to hand pictures were quickly taken and then it was on its way. One fish after a lot of work but i wouldn't have had it any other way. Needless to say my dreams are now filled with huge endless flats and cold coronas and my nightmares are of missed permit. I would say to anyone out there if you get a chance to go fishing for bonefish make sure you do it will be an experience of a lifetime

·
Registered
409 Posts
Great report Srethy, I am glad you got into them. I know what you mean about them permit, they really get a guys heart beating, and can disappear unbelievably quickly, leaving a sinking feeling in the gut. Hey Fish Finder when will you be in The Dominican? I will be down there the first two weeks in january in Punta Cana, and I am planning on doing some fishing every day hunting for them bones.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well good luck. I have heard about a few spots there and will have to go and check them out. Fortunately I did not finish all the business I hope to while there so I will be going back in a few weeks. Hopefully the permit will take more notice the second time around.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Srethy, how were the airlines with carry on, were you able to take your rods on board or did they have to be stowed in your luggage? I have heard rumours that rods are no longer permitted as carry on, is this true. I don't really like the idea of travelling internationally with my gear packed in my suitcase, changing flights etc., and not having control over my rods. Losing some articles of clothing is one thing, but to lose some fly gear would be devastating.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well on advise from one of the guys at m&y I bought a ski case (hard case) from coast mountain and transported my rods in that. My favorite rod is a 2 peice XP that I got a number of years back and I really wanted to take it and the ski case worked out perfectly. I was under the impression that a 4 peice rod was still ok for carry on. Another route to go is to ship it to the destination ahead of time because you can get insurance for cheap and it covers a lot more that what they give you for luggage insurance. In the future I will ship them ahead of time because thinking that your $3000 worth of fishing gear could be snatched up is very stressful.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks, I am going to contact the airlines tommorow and confirm if four piece are permitted. If not then I just may consider shipping, I had never considered that angle and insuring for my piece of mind. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.