BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to Abbotsford to visit family for Christmas. I'm hoping to get a little steelhead and/or cutthroat fishing in if I can. Naturally I'll likely want to swing into a shop, pick up a few supplies, wiggle a few rods and get the latest reports. :)

It's been a couple years since I've been back home, and even longer since I've fished in the Fraser Valley or stopped at fishing stores there. I remember my go to back then was Hub Sports in Abbotsford. I got to know the staff pretty well. I do remember though that the ownership changed just before my last visit down and there were pretty much all new staff there. Is Hub still worth the trip? How is it under the new (I guess it's been a few years so not so new?) ownership?

I also used to hit up Fred's Custom Tackle in Chilliwack though not as frequently. Always pretty happy there too. Still the best place to make an early morning pit stop on the way to the upper Chilliwack/Vedder? :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Freds in abby is great as well as the other store in chilly. Not sure if cabelas will be open in abby at that time still be built

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Freds in abby is great as well as the other store in chilly. Not sure if cabelas will be open in abby at that time still be built
Fred's opened in Abby? Cool. :)

I heard about the Cabela's. My wallet could be in trouble. LOL

·
Registered
917 Posts
Living in Vancouver, I don't get many chances to hit the shops in the Fraser Valley. When I do, it's usually Fred's, and they're good. Lots of selection, and the service is good.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The two shops i mainly go to are freds custom tackle in chilliwack, and sea run fly and tackle in coquitlam, great places with great employees who try and help you get into lots of fish!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I find it a bit hard to swallow ?? Seems to me anyways, that he would be losing more money at the abby location. Being right at the river where anyone needing tackle could easly access seems the logical location, as well as knowing Cabelas would be opening the move to abby seems like a death sentence.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find it a bit hard to swallow ?? Seems to me anyways, that he would be losing more money at the abby location. Being right at the river where anyone needing tackle could easly access seems the logical location, as well as knowing Cabelas would be opening the move to abby seems like a death sentence.
Having two locations relatively close to eachother, you can "cannibalize" your own business. People that drove all the way out to Chilliwack before, even when not fishing that day, now don't have to drive as far to get what they need. Fred's has undoubtedly lost some business by closing that location, but the important question is whether the lost business outweighed the expense of running a second location. My guess is it did not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts