BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple wants me to take their son and them out fishing 4 his birthday. he is 5 or 6 so it cant be nothin huge. needs to be easy accessable and pretty well gaurentee fish. i was thinkin pike minnos and suckers on the fraser.... any other sudgestions?????

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
take him to the stave is a great way to get him and them interested in fishing. Lafarge and other local lakes have been fishing slow (from what i have heard) but the salmon just keep coming and biting all the time. I landed my first ever salmon ALONE at age 4 on a bar rod reeling in that 20oz weight so a chum should tucker him out pretty good after a few LOL I say have at it on the Stave.

just dont forget to bring some Pink/Purple jigs :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i think your first idea would be perfect. set out a couple of bar rods and catch bullheads,pike minnow, and you never know. i know my kids always have a good time with the course fish on the bar while dad sits and waits for a little action of his own. be sure to bring some fire wood to keep the little guy warm and you will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
anthony said:
i would not be taking a 5 or 6 year old to the gong show of the stave !!!! someone that young needs a less busy environment and let them enjoy themselves.
Im with you Anthony! Take him pike fishing - kids don't care what kind of a fish they reel in. A pike minnow would be great fun for a kid that age.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a five year old son and seven year old daughter who have started to bug me about taking them fishing. Where are the bars that people are talking about for pike minnows that would have some salmon opportunities for me? Also, what gear would I need for the kids?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no boat :( and.. NEXT TO NOITHIN i have cought corse fish with a hand line. litteraly any bar where u can access it lol they r so plentiful in the fraser river. worms single eggs roe all works wonders :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey 2hottie... You could try Sasamat Lake (in Poco I think...), or Foley Lake in Chilliwack...

Sasamat Lake is extremely easy to access and there is a floating concrete bridge (yeah, apparently concrete floats...) w/ a dock that you can walk/hike to (it's a short walk/hike (0.5km or so I think, but I haven't been there in over ten years)) and catch some 6-14 in. rainbow trout off of (bait a hook with a worm, salmon eggs, etc., and float fish at various depths using a float + stopper).

The road up to Foley is a little rough (secondary road w/ pot holes + softball-sized rocks strewn around) but passable in pretty much any vehicle (my '86 Corolla, now likely a metal cube, made it up there relatively easily). I'm not sure if it's still open or not (last year they closed the road up to it around Sept.) but the last 3/4 times that I have been there I caught my limit (you're pretty much guartunteed fish)... Bait a hook, shore fish off the bottom from the south-west, or south, end of the lake and you can hook into some decent sized (10-16 in.) trout (rainbow and dolley varden (the dollies will probably be small though so you'll have to release them)). I usually set my rod up like this: hook-----1.5ft of line-----small split shot---~1/4 oz. lead weight (just heavy enough so that you can get in a decent cast)-------rest of the line------------reel. I then cast the hook/line/sinker out, let it sink to the bottom, and reel in most of the line (I leave a bit of slack (2 or 3 feet) to give the fish a chance to "run with the bait," without feeling any resistance, before I cut the line ::)).

Anyways, if you're looking for something a little more exciting than minnows and suckers (and maybe a light meal) then you could always give one of those two places a try (I'm not sure where you're located but keep in mind that Foley is a bit of a drive from anywhere other then west of Langley, and there is no guaruntee that it will be open (although I'm sure you can ask around and find out)).

Have fun with the kid,
Rob

p.s. I caught one of my first rainbows, if not my first, off the floating dock at Sasamat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.