BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking the family up to Smithers for the last trip of the summer. I was hoping for some advice for salmon in the area. I have been through a few times and know the area a bit but I have never fished it ???. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
327 Posts
Check your regs!
Last time I was there around this time you were required to purchase a Steelhead tag in order to fish any river in the area.
I went to try to get my boys some salmon tags and was told that.
The Bulkley should be just finished with Springs and starting with Steelhead as with the Morice.
I only know the bits around Houston.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mcallagan said:
Check your regs!
Last time I was there around this time you were required to purchase a Steelhead tag in order to fish any river in the area.
I went to try to get my boys some salmon tags and was told that.
The Bulkley should be just finished with Springs and starting with Steelhead as with the Morice.
I only know the bits around Houston.
Thanks, I was going to pick up a Steelhead tag on the way. I was kinda hoping that the odd coho would be showing up too. I think I will tour down as far as Moricetown for a look see. When we went through last about this time they were netting some coho come to think of it.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
If you are driving up, stop at the Stellako (start at the Francois Lake end ). It'is classified qwater, so you will need a classified license. but is one of the best trout rivers I have ever encountered.

· Registered
584 Posts
I believe any time after sept2 the bulkley and morice are classified as well and require a classified tag! I have found that where the morice comes into the bulkely in telkwa is a great place to fish or start/finish a day of walk and wade.

· Banned
67 Posts
actually the bulkley and the telkwa rivers meet in telkwa but there is often early coho hanging out there, i think the telkwa itself is open for coho if you look in the salmon supplement but i have never fished it. also where tabogan creek meets the bulkley just north of smithers on the highway. there is a small hatchery on the creek itself so lots of coho build up at the confluence. pretty snaggy though i recomend float fishing blades. and there should be steelhead comming by too
:thumbup:

· Registered
407 Posts
Hopefully the weather comes arround, there is alot of great water above the confluence of the Bulkley and the Telkwa that generally stays in shape during heavy rainfalls like we had last sunday. The Telkwa can put the rest of the Bulkley out and difficult to find fish.

· Registered
584 Posts
you're right there ninja..thanks for the correction :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.