BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was over on the island for work this week in Campbell River. Unfortunately I was only able to fish for 3 hrs on the Gold wed afternoon. The weather was pretty tough as the wind was blowing about 60 or 70 km and the snow was completely horizontal. That's not enough to stop me though, being from Ontario and an ice fishing guide i've fished in alot worse. With my limited time I decided to fish close to the muchalet gold confluence. My bait of choice was a pink/purple jig and my strategy was to power fish and fish the slower pockets and inside inside seams of productive looking runs. I chose to do this because the water to me seemed to be pretty high and quick? So off I went getting into my routine fishing fast and effective covering as much as i could and as fast as i could, about 1hr into it my float rips straight sideways and i set the hook. SWEET!! first gold river steel on, the fish felt pretty heavy and it stayed down for the first 15 to 20 seconds, then some hard quick headshakes and the fish started heading to some fast water i tried to put the brakes on him, but he came out of the water and the jig pulled out. Upon further investigation the fish had straightened my hook a male of about 14 or 15lbs. I continued downstream fishing with great anticipation of the next strike, but it never came. The visibility of the river was about 3 or 4 feet and the water was a pleasure to fish, I hope i get a chance to fish it again before the season comes to a close. I talked to the tackle store in Campbell River and he said that the winter run is just getting under way.

Tight Lines, Wes Roffey

·
Registered
338 Posts
I fished the gold on Saturday. I thought the water was low, and it was very clear and very cold -- conditions seemed perfect for the fly rods, which we had left at home. Two of us fished long and hard through the helicoppter run, and I was so captivated by an ice-shrouded stand of youn alders across from me, that I struck to late on a dissappearing float.

Nothing else happening, so we moved down to one of the runs along the highway. I worked a deep, swift riffle, while my partner worked a really deep, still pool close to shore. Second cast and he hooked a stong fish that escaped. Dozens of casts and I hooked two boulders.

Even though I am the one with the leaky rubber pants, my partner was the first to freeze. I convinced him to stop at the golf course on the way home, where we found a nice family having a beach fire. He left his rod in the car, deciding to keep his hand warm and give me advice; I hadn't fished this pool befor. Anyway, he suggested that I fish through the deep, slow water in the middle of the pool and ignor the likely looking water at the tailout. Against my better judgement, I took his advice. While I was methodically working away, he quietly slipped back to the car and returned with a big spoon, intent to fish. Ofcourse, he stepped right into the spot I'd had my eye on, and tied into a nice fishright away. He set me up!

It turned out to be a very pretty summer run of about eight ppounds, a little lethargic in the cold water, but quicly revived. We fishe a lot of stunning water, the fish were just a little sparse. Two days on the Samp next weekend should providde a different outcome.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have never fished the Gold but it sounds like it's getting back to normal.I mean from all the stories and legends I've heard. I use tolive in Tahsis as a young boy and passed through there many a time so I know it's beautiful country over there! I hope to get there some time! How long is the steelie run?

Hotrod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.