BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning a trip down to Allouette Lake for Saturday and stumble across some disturbing info, they closed the park Jan 25 due to tree fall and dangerous conditions. They have no estimated time for fixing the problem so until further notice there is no fishing at either Mike or Allouette Lakes.

Here is a link to the provincial parks website. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden.html

If you have the time an email can be sent to the local MLA to bring this matter to thier attention. The more people who speak out, the more they will be forced to get the ball rolling on the cleanup.

Here is some of the contact info...acquired from another site ::)

Send an email to MLA Randy Hawes office to voice any concern over the lack of maintenance and your concern of the gate being closed and no access to the park.

email

[email protected]

Make sure to put Golden Ears Park in title/subject

· Registered
281 Posts
That's interesting that you mention that. I tried to go up to Sasquach Park out by Harrison and it was closed as well. I assumed it was a seasonal issue, but perhaps it's the storms. Either way it's an excuse. Perhaps if the govr't is going to keep restricting access to parks we pay to use, we can decide when we feel like paying our taxes. I've sent an email Trav, and anyone else who feels burned should as well.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I have sent an e-mail to Randy Hawes last week and I have recieved an e-mail back. He has stated that the park should be open at the end of the month or the first week of March. Rolley lake is also still closed due to the fallen trees and there is no estimated time for an opening. He has re assured me that he will pressure the environment minister to get Rolley lake open soon.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
EZ Rolling said:
How does Stanley park get 10 million for storm restoration and the rest of the parks get none ?
It all boils down too how much money that particular park brings in. Stanley Park brings in tourist from all over all year round where golden ears park does not. It is a pretty poor excuse but that's politics for ya. It is all about the mighty dollar.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
IMO, to close the park because of safety concerns is a good thing. You may not like it but the criticism and legal end result (if someone got hurt because of dangerous conditions) would be far worse. There are areas of Stanley Park that are closed due to dangerous conditions as well.

I don't think there is any comparison between Roley Lake Park or Golden Ears Park with Stanley Park for the ### or people who use them. Vancouver Parks just bought 5 new machines to deal with the problems caused by the storms ........ like anything ...... things are done on a priority basis.

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
167 Posts
i complained about the closure weeks ago as well, seems there's no urgency to get it back in order again. It's too bad, there are so many people who use the parks year round that are just shut out - dozens of cars parked in front of the gate on the weekends. I think someone's asleep at the switch, there's no reason they shouldn't be re-opened by now.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Teppit1 said:
i complained about the closure weeks ago as well, seems there's no urgency to get it back in order again. It's too bad, there are so many people who use the parks year round that are just shut out - dozens of cars parked in front of the gate on the weekends. I think someone's asleep at the switch, there's no reason they shouldn't be re-opened by now.
You are right. There should be no reason why it should not be re-opened by now but this is just the perfect example of the Liberals contracting out services. When you contract out these kind of services you get poor quality service.

· Registered
87 Posts
This is typical of our present prov.govt. I hope people remember this and and the other things such as healthcare (I mean really, is closing hosp. going to fix bed shortages?? :p) in the next elec.

· Registered
781 Posts
The hicks, deer, and trout lake road is still closed as of sunday. I was up at the cabin on the weekend and had a chance to walk the road. No trees are covering the road to hicks or deer lake but there are a few trees down in and around the campground at deer lake. Not too sure why they have it gated, there may have been trees covering the road at one point but they have cleared those up. It was open at this time last year so the only thing I can think of is they have not re-opened due to safety issues or have not got around to it after the clean up.

· Registered
280 Posts
Im sure the fees from camping at these parks brings in a pretty good buck.
Might go for a drive this am and see if Golden Ears is open.
Latest news is the Goat at the entrance to the park is tired of it too and has left the scene.

G

·
I was up to Mike Lake on Tuesday. Everything open and back to normal other than a fair amount of debris left over from the storm. 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.