BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just moved to the Lower Mainland a couple years ago, so I'm still discovering the good fishing places.
I've got my Dad coming in next weekend (Thanksgiving) and was hoping to take him out fishing somewhere. I live in Port Coquitlam, but don't mind a little bit of a drive (e.g. out to the valley). Obviously we will be off the shore using fly rods.

My question: Where would you take your dad for a good morning or afternoon of fishing?

Thanks for all of your great advice and wisdom!

/j

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Well, I am not sure this is good or wise advice, but if you are sticking with the flyrod, there are a lot of options. However, the accessability to a boat would almost asuure success as we have a lot of small lakes in the area that are fishing well at the present time. Most of the rivers in the area have salmon in them also, however the lack of rain is making this a difficult, very localized fishery. The area below the dam on the Stave River can be good. You can fish this area without a boat and you never know what you might catch there as there are trout, whitefish, salmon, and bottom fish all in the same area.
In the same general area is Whonnock Lake and Rolly lake and both have small trout.
Any tidal water of the lower Fraser River...Coquitlam,Allouette, Serpentine and Nicomeckl all have fish present this time of the year and they can be fished from shore, but it is usually better to float fish roe or a worm in these waters.....Check with Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond, Hub Sports in Abbotsford, or Fred's Custom Tackle in Chilliwack.
Tell them what kind of gear you have and they should be able to stear you into an area
Good luck, Ortho 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Can a person fish off the dock at Whonnock? Is it usually busy? Anywhere else along the shore where you can fish at Whonnock? Or Rolley?

Anybody else with any suggestions?

/j

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you want to hit Whonnock you will need a float tube or boat
not great of the jetty :?
there are lots of Black Crappie in there up to 14 inch and some small trout 8 to 10 inch
Rolley has some bigger trout 10 to 16inch and a few big ones :shock:
but you will need a boat or tubes here too
The only good shore fly fishing would be a river

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all your help!

I've read about a lot of guys fishing the Vedder. Where does one go about parking? fishing? Are there any spots where you aren't sharing the same lawn chair as your neighbor? Remember, we're using fly rods.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
This may come a little late for you, but the Skagit River up by Hope is a great fly fishing river. You won't find salmon up there, but you won't find many other fishermen up there right now either. I prefer going up to Sumallo Grove on hwy 3 (about 30km past Hope) and working down river from there. Others would tell you to take Silver Skagit road just before you reach hope and head up the road to the lower river. If you go to the lower river take lots of bug spray (I've n ever needed it on the upper river.) Beautiful river and wonderful solitude.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys.

Thanks for all of your advice.
I'm leaning towards heading out to Rolley Lake. I know it's ideal to have a boat, but we won't have one. Any suggestions where one could fish off the shore? How has Rolley been fishing?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, a boat or belly tube would give you more options, but there are a few spots you don't need either. The closest spot is right by the parking lot. Walk from the parking lot down to the lake, turn left, and go to the left of the swimming bouys. You can cast from there using spinners (a bit too long to cast flys, but you can always give it a try) very productive. And by the way, the park warden (I think his name is Jack) has lived and fished around the lake since he was nee high to a tadpole, so if you see somebody up there in a uniform, ask his advice. Very friendly fellow.

The other spot is along the east side of the lake, to the right of the parking lot. There is a dock/float about half way down the lake. It is OK for fly fishing, but quite shallow, but does allow for a good back cast.

Good luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts