BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm posting this in this section because it will apply to those of us doing our Salmon fishing in the valley. As usual I made a couple stops along the way home last weekend 2 a couple different tackle shops and couldn't believe the prices of weights, everything from wedge's to BB's. I was looking at prices of over $9.00 for a 18oz wedge, and for a comparison they wanted $4.49 for a 3oz BB. I was told that the price of lead has gone up so the prices have to match.

This morning getting ready for some weekend barfishing I headed into Chilliwack Dart & Tackle down the road and was happily suprised to find the prices were still within a reasonable rate. By 18oz wedge were still $3.29 and for those of you heading out for sockeye the 3oz BB's are $1.59. I asked about the lead prices going up and he said they have, but this is as high as his pricing needs to be.

So for anyone coming out this way and already paying the over inflated fuel costs, I thought I'd write this little note to let you know that some places are still keeping things in perspective. Just to add, I have no affiliation with any shops.

Here's a some pricing to compare Wedges 10oz-18oz at $2.89-$3.29 and BB's from 1oz-4oz at $1.29-$1.69. Also they had T-spoons, crocs, and Kitamats on sale at $2.49.

·
Registered
517 Posts
before entering ANY fishing store I alway stop by WALMART. They do not have everything of course but if you are looking for lines and other basics (like weights) then yo will save for sure AT LEAST 30% compared to any fishing store! Of course I am talking about the same exact item).
It is sad to stop by walmart, but I feel like any fishing store takes advantage of us. I'll give you another example: I was looking for a good fishing vest. I looked around vancouver, burnaby and chilliwack and I DID NOT find anything cheaper than 150$. All big brands with jackets even over 600$ (I guess the stores do not want to carry cheaper items since the profit is not so much as it is on big items). Anyway, to make the story sort, I found at walmart (lougheed mall) a very nice, strong. comfortable and well made vest for 35 dollars. so many pockets with different sizes. In sum, the perfect vest for fishing, and very nice looking too. I am enjoying it a lot!

cheers

Giuseppe

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe different stocking out there, but a couple of points. The Wallmart out here doesn't carry the big sizes of weights, and they don't have any help as far as staff is concerned. Also shops like Dart and tackle are the local Mom and Pop shops that we should be supporting when possible, not to mention that Chilliwack Dart and Tackle is a supporter of this site and helps pay the bills here so we can have these kinds of discussions. ;) ;D

Giuseppe, did you stop by there or phone when looking for vests, because I know they have nice ones under $60.

·
Registered
455 Posts
eimaj said:
Maybe different stocking out there, but a couple of points. The Wallmart out here doesn't carry the big sizes of weights, and they don't have any help as far as staff is concerned. Also shops like Dart and tackle are the local Mom and Pop shops that we should be supporting when possible, not to mention that Chilliwack Dart and Tackle is a supporter of this site and helps pay the bills here so we can have these kinds of discussions. ;) ;D

Giuseppe, did you stop by there or phone when looking for vests, because I know they have nice ones under $60.
I will second this one. Service and product quality are very important. Try and get warranty satisfaction out of a Walmart or others plus when I'm looking for specific items (hunting or fishing) you can count one the independents. :cheers:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I work in a foundry and we pay $1.00 a pound for lead, My boss is also making his own wedge weights, in 16,18,20,22,24 ounces :thumbup:

Guess it pays when you work in a foundry and dont have to pay the rediculous amount of lead from the shops

I know where i will be getting my bar weights form LOL !!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Salmonator said:
eimaj said:

I will second this one. Service and product quality are very important. Try and get warranty satisfaction out of a Walmart or others plus when I'm looking for specific items (hunting or fishing) you can count one the independents. :cheers:
came on guys. I bought a Maxima 20lb line for 12$ at walmart. please contact me if you find a fishing store that sell it for less than 18$, I'll buy it for you! What knowledge or experience or support I need when I buy a simple line? come on guys.
BTW, I hate walmart after I saw few years ago the movie from Michael Moore, but I have to say that I hate more the people that make a fortune taking advantage of us. Fortunately we are free to choose where to go.

giuseppe

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Giuseppe said:
Salmonator said:
eimaj said:

came on guys. I bought a Maxima 20lb line for 12$ at walmart. please contact me if you find a fishing store that sell it for less than 18$, I'll buy it for you! What knowledge or experience or support I need when I buy a simple line? come on guys.
BTW, I hate walmart after I saw few years ago the movie from Michael Moore, but I have to say that I hate more the people that make a fortune taking advantage of us. Fortunately we are free to choose where to go.

giuseppe
I can get Maxima Ultra Green 20lb line for around $3.30 ;D Oh but the price is different for different sizes of spools :wallbash:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Giuseppe said:
Salmonator said:
eimaj said:

giuseppe
Good, make sure you go to Walmart for all your fishing info to then!!! Who's making a fortune???Always great to see guys like this walk into a shop that busts it's a$$...ask for help on where to fish, how to rig up or tie...ask to try everything on and then after wasting the poor shop guys time for an hour when he has other customers say "No Thanks" I can get it cheaper somewhere else!!!!
What are you going to do when there are no shops and you have to rely on wally world??? Give your a head a shake next time you dog out those shops

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
xgolfman said:
Good, make sure you go to Walmart for all your fishing info to then!!! Who's making a fortune???Always great to see guys like this walk into a shop that busts it's a$$...ask for help on where to fish, how to rig up or tie...ask to try everything on and then after wasting the poor shop guys time for an hour when he has other customers say "No Thanks" I can get it cheaper somewhere else!!!!
What are you going to do when there are no shops and you have to rely on wally world??? Give your a head a shake next time you dog out those shops
xgolfman, when Giuseppe says:

What knowledge or experience or support I need when I buy a simple line?
I believe he means that he would purchase items from these stores when he doesn't need the customer support. With today's prices on items, not just fishing related, I agree with him, save money where you can.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Gee I wonder how old the line was ;D Forget Wally world and crappy tire, support your local shops. I have all my reels respooled at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle and don't pay over $10 per reel. As already stated ask Wally world for advice, I bet they don't know dick! I have supported my local shops for years and built a rapport with them and don't pay retail on anything. As far as $35 for a vest I would be very surprised to see it last more than one season. Start getting to know your local shops, spend some time talking to them, spend some money there and after a while once they know you you'll probably get better deals. What impresses me most about the shops I go to is that when I walk in they say hi and call me by my name and ask how I'm doing and how the fishing has been. You'll never get that at Wally world.

·
Registered
229 Posts
eimaj said:
First off I'm posting this in this section because it will apply to those of us doing our Salmon fishing in the valley. As usual I made a couple stops along the way home last weekend 2 a couple different tackle shops and couldn't believe the prices of weights, everything from wedge's to BB's. I was looking at prices of over $9.00 for a 18oz wedge, and for a comparison they wanted $4.49 for a 3oz BB. I was told that the price of lead has gone up so the prices have to match.

This morning getting ready for some weekend barfishing I headed into Chilliwack Dart & Tackle down the road and was happily suprised to find the prices were still within a reasonable rate. By 18oz wedge were still $3.29 and for those of you heading out for sockeye the 3oz BB's are $1.59. I asked about the lead prices going up and he said they have, but this is as high as his pricing needs to be.

So for anyone coming out this way and already paying the over inflated fuel costs, I thought I'd write this little note to let you know that some places are still keeping things in perspective. Just to add, I have no affiliation with any shops.

Here's a some pricing to compare Wedges 10oz-18oz at $2.89-$3.29 and BB's from 1oz-4oz at $1.29-$1.69. Also they had T-spoons, crocs, and Kitamats on sale at $2.49.
Oh come on! I definitely support my local shops and am happy to do it for all of the reasons already stated, but if that means I have to pay $9 for an eighteen oz. wedge when I know I can get one at A&N for $3.50 I'll be off to A&N.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Giuseppe said:
before entering ANY fishing store I alway stop by WALMART.
I find the Army and Navy shops to be cheaper and have a far better selection of gear for local fishing. It's also 100% Canadian for the last 88 years.

A+N for cheaper stuff, + lots of great smaller shops in town for anything else you may need. Barry's, Reaction, Hub, Nikka, Highwater, West Coast, Pac Angler, Fred's etc.... You can't get that kind of knowledge in a Wallmart.

I will not shop at Walmart due to their shady practices, lowballing wages in general etc. Would you rather deal with some local folks, or just giving your dollars to a huge multi-national who doesn't give two cents about you or the Fishing Community?

When was the last time Walmart kicked down some money or prizes or anything to the local fishery? Organized a fishing derby or river cleanup?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The guy says he stops by walmart for the basics. He does not ask for advise there. He is saving not just a couple bucks but more like a tank of gas worth so he can make it out to chilliwack to freakin fish in the first place let alone just to drive to the freaking tackle store in the Wack to by a few basics there. He doesn't say he shops there exclusively. Walmart has its place when you might need something late night. This site is the worst for bashers. You can't even read 5 posts in a thread without a bashing. Anyways I'll have to check out this Dart and Tackle store one day. Thanks for the heads up !! :beerchug:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey, can I tell you something? I don't really understand why people feel free to attack so much on this forum. Any topic you post in order to share information (which btw it should be the main point of this forum) is attacked after a couple of replies. Why? And what the advantage of it? Any comments is judged right after it has been posted, and it doesn't matter what the topic is. I found it extremely provincial. And it discourages people to share information with you. And I am really surprised how the moderators of this forum can let this happen. Now, I am sure that after this message this post will be looked or moved to the "sin bin". BUT, dear moderators, let me tell you that this is probably not the best way to deal with this issue. You act improperly and too late. You should control the dialogue while is going on, not sending the post in the garbage after people attacked. You should discuss the attitude with people directly so that they change the way how the respond to comments. If you do not do this, then the same people will still look for arguments and your job as moderator will consist only of sending topic to the sin bin.

We should be exited to see if someone replied to our post, not afraid of reading nasty comments each time.
This is probably my last post. Maybe it is more fun to read messages and screen for useful information instead of being active. Probably this is the reason why in this forum there are tons of observer and just few active members discussing. These active members are always the same people and it should be relatively easy to manage them. It is a shame that this nice forum is on their hands.

Giuseppe

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok,

Lets get a couple things straight, I posted this topic to let you guys and gals know about some good deals and great service at a local shop, they have been around for years and helping folks in my community for a long time. Be it hunting or fishing. Please respect the post for what it is, if you'd like to talk about some good deal you may have gotten elsewhere feel free to start your own topic.

As far as big corporate stores go, if you like them fill your boots, I choose to support the guys and gals along with their buisnesses that support me and mine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yamadirt426 said:
The guy says he stops by walmart for the basics. He does not ask for advise there. He is saving not just a couple bucks but more like a tank of gas worth so he can make it out to chilliwack to freakin fish in the first place let alone just to drive to the freaking tackle store in the Wack to by a few basics there. He doesn't say he shops there exclusively. Walmart has its place when you might need something late night. This site is the worst for bashers. You can't even read 5 posts in a thread without a bashing. Anyways I'll have to check out this Dart and Tackle store one day. Thanks for the heads up !! :beerchug:
Bashings go both ways...First though, when someone edits their post I thought it showed or stated it was edited..what I don't get is there are statements he made that are no longer there and it doesn't show it being edited??? What's up with that???

Do you know what its like NOT having a choice but wallyworld or Joes as your local shop? Let me tell you it sucks large!!! Nothing like walking back to the fishing area and seeing the guys working take off because they see a customer coming...Ask um questions and they are college or H.S. kids who don't give a flying F**k about you...I would rather spend my hard earned money in a shop where the guys know my name, will help me with whatever I need..(which has included going way and beyond to get me satisfaction on leaky waders and busted rods...) Have drawn me maps to areas that no one else will even whisper about that has great fishing...

What's this called??? CUSTOMER service!!! Something you get when you don't walk in and try and nickel and dime them for EVERY thing!!!! Guess what else...They will also give you screaming deals!!! Better then any box store or ebay...because again it's all mutual!!! Sometimes when you spend that extra few dollars for a high end item that helps keep the shop in business..you might find you'll get more then that back in knowledge and deals on other items...

How do you get this thing called Customer service?? Realize EVERYTHING is not for barter...Treat the guys with respect, maybe buy um a coffee now and again.. sit down for a chat and LISTEN to what they are talking about...Stop being a visitor here and pretend you actually give a sheeit about people instead of crowding the counter and asking for deals on everything, then make smug comments and roll your eyes when they decline...

I own and run my own business...how these guys put up with some of the crap I watch happen in these shops from guys who do exactly what I describe above on a daily basis is beyond me...I value their knowledge and some of their friendships. If it's a shop i'm only stopping in on my way to lake i've never fished etc. I will always buy something to show that I appreciate what they are doing...If the world became any more Wallyworld I would start fishing with dynamite!!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
xgolfman said:
Yamadirt426 said:
Bashings go both ways...First though, when someone edits their post I thought it showed or stated it was edited..what I don't get is there are statements he made that are no longer there and it doesn't show it being edited??? What's up with that???

Do you know what its like NOT having a choice but wallyworld or Joes as your local shop? Let me tell you it sucks large!!! Nothing like walking back to the fishing area and seeing the guys working take off because they see a customer coming...Ask um questions and they are college or H.S. kids who don't give a flying F**k about you...I would rather spend my hard earned money in a shop where the guys know my name, will help me with whatever I need..(which has included going way and beyond to get me satisfaction on leaky waders and busted rods...) Have drawn me maps to areas that no one else will even whisper about that has great fishing...

What's this called??? CUSTOMER service!!! Something you get when you don't walk in and try and nickel and dime them for EVERY thing!!!! Guess what else...They will also give you screaming deals!!! Better then any box store or ebay...because again it's all mutual!!! Sometimes when you spend that extra few dollars for a high end item that helps keep the shop in business..you might find you'll get more then that back in knowledge and deals on other items...

How do you get this thing called Customer service?? Realize EVERYTHING is not for barter...Treat the guys with respect, maybe buy um a coffee now and again.. sit down for a chat and LISTEN to what they are talking about...Stop being a visitor here and pretend you actually give a sheeit about people instead of crowding the counter and asking for deals on everything, then make smug comments and roll your eyes when they decline...

I own and run my own business...how these guys put up with some of the crap I watch happen in these shops from guys who do exactly what I describe above on a daily basis is beyond me...I value their knowledge and some of their friendships. If it's a shop i'm only stopping in on my way to lake i've never fished etc. I will always buy something to show that I appreciate what they are doing...If the world became any more Wallyworld I would start fishing with dynamite!!!!
Nice reply, and very sensitive attitude. You are an amazing man treating everyone who crosses your life. I am glad that there are people like you in this world. But not everyone own and run their own business. There are people like me to whom 10 dollars make the difference. But you cannot probably understand this. Too bad.

Giuseppe

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yamadirt426 said:
Well said Yama,
I mean this is BC forum..........local for one guy is not local for the other, no need for this, nice people, nice forum, c'mon guys!!

:beerchug: :cheers: :drunk:

B.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.