BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where on the boat is the best place to put it? Front or back? I have an 18.5' I/O boat. Manual says anywhere it has a clear view all the way around. If I go up front I guess I'm worried about the windshield and cockpit area. Lots of room on the back transom area, but is that a good spot when all the action of fishing etc takes place with chance of tangling with it

Then, I suppose I could also ask where is the best spot for the 8' VHF antenna? The manual for the radio talks about RF signals and should be kept as far away from people as possible with a minimum of about 2-3'. I would guess about as far forwad as I can and still be able to fold it down along the gunnel.

Such a beautiful day and I should be out fishing rather than installing all these electronics. GRRRR!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey Butt,
if your boat have hard top, that's the best place. If you have cuddy cabin without hard top, middle front flush mount is the best position to avoid any accidental braking.
For VHF antenna make shure it's installed at least 2-3 ft from the radio. Again if you have hard top, that is the best place (away from GPS antenna). If not, beside windshiled is good place( higher the better, no gain lose) just make shure that is installed away from VHF radio.

Cheers,

Barba

·
Registered
304 Posts
My opinion is up front behind positioning lights is the best place for GPS antenna(flush mount if possible).
No obstructions between antenna and open sky (windshield metal frame) and no interference with VHF radio and antenna (2-3ft).
Make shure coax cables from VHF and GPS are separated.
And if GPS is Lowrance brand, make shure you have two separate power supply lines for GPS and for VHF.

Cheers,

Barba

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.