BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good source (online preferably) for GPS waypoints? I am looking for ones around Vancouver, Indian Arm, QE marker, Bowen, Howe Sound, Gulf Islands, Etc. I am a realative newby to boating the waters around Vancouver (although I have had a little tinny out a few times).

Thanks
James

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't know about online sources but there is a $20 book with every light and bouy from Baja CA to Arch Angel AK. However, you will want to off set the points or put an alarm on so that you don't run into them. You can always do it the old fashiond way and us the Lat and Long on the chart.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some charts that I am scanning and want to calibrate, using Ozi Explorer. I also want to know how to find some of these places, like Hole in the Wall. The boat I am hoping to bring home today would require me to steer it, no autopilot.

Thanks for the reply
James

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Phoneguy......if need be, let us know the different places you are looking for and we'll see what we can do to help you out.

Hole in the Wall is the stretch/area of water that heads north following the mainland from Horseshoe Bay up towards Lions Bay. If you are unfamiliar with Lions Bay......Hole in the Wall pretty much just follows the mailand up into Howe Sound.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pippen

Today I brought home our new toy. It is a 1975 17.5ft Reinell, powered by a 1990 140 horse Johnson. Yup, pretty old, but everything is in good to excellent condition. Compression was even accross all the cylinders and the leg oil was clean. Boat was mostly used in fresh water for skiing (which the kids are looking forward to). Want to put VHF and a depth finder on it, and a kicker bracket for the 9.9 that I already had. I also need a couple of downriggers, prawn traps, ........(the black hole). Fortunately my wife grew up around boats, and other than the colour (yellow gold) she approves. Then I have to figure my way around the local Vancouver waters, so any advice is welcome!

Thanks
James

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good job James! If you see a black RIB about 15' say Hi. As for prawn traps to suggestion: One you can make out of rubbermade tubs, wire mesh - thin galvenized - and zapp staps.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so where is the slash? Also, I live in New West, my boat is on a trailer. If I want to fish, Bowen where should I launch. How about Ambleside, QE, and the other markers, Roberts Bank....like I said earlier....total newby to these waters!

Thanks

James

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ok, I don't lanch my boat from shore so I am not going to give advice on where to lanch it. It is the QA and QB yellow shipping lane markers. The OB is inside English Bay about 1 1/2 miles ESE of point atkinson. The QA is about 2 miles from the point grey bell bouy go on a 220 degree course. Both of these spot can be good with the QA being better at this time and through the summer - generally. Both are shipping lane marker and can have frieters pass them, don't underestimate the speed they go. Ambleside is about 1/2 mile W of the Lions Gate bridge and gets fish most of the year with Flood tides being best.
Period started got to go.... Go Oil.
Have fun, Jason.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
bigjay are you an edmonton fan? wooooo hoooooo they kicked some detroit a$$!!!!!!!! bring on round two!!!!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
PhoneGuy.......

As far as launching if you are wanting to head out and fish the English Bay/Bowen/Hole in the Wall it is probably best at either Ambleside but I would probably tell you to go with the launch at the Planetarium right down at the entrance to False Creek by the Coast Guard Station if you know where that is. There is a fair bit of room to back down and plenty of parking for vehicles and trailers, but just remember to watch the tide times as on a very low tide you may be waiting a while to get your boat out of the water.

I am not positive but there may be a launch somewhere out towards Horseshoe Bay????

As Jay said.....keep an eye on the freighters they move a lot faster than you think :wink:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Boat launch

I am not positive but there may be a launch somewhere out towards Horseshoe Bay????
Sunset Marina has a nice launch north of Horseshoe Bay. Can't remember how much. Think it was $15. Worth a call.

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
770 Posts
thumbs down to any launch that makes you PAY for launch only

Sunset makes you PAY and you have to run to your fishing spots...as well a longer tow to get to.

Sewells is BS as low tide is impossible to launch a good size boat from, and they charge you for launch and parking...

Ambleside is BAD in wind or low tide...parking may be full.

Kits/Vanier Park/Planetarium is better, free to launch, tow your trailer up to the planetarium lot and you could escape the parking fees. But be careful for low tides...and if you're going to back onto the sand, for crying out loud....make sure you know what you're doing...4 WD may be mandatory depending on your vehicle and trailer. Offer you options of fishing Pt. Grey, Ambleside, Atkinson, and Bowen. As it gives you the options to fish those places you can also size up the fleet and see if there are fish there, generally, if there's a few boats..there is likely some fish being pulled out of there. Also, you're more likely to meet anglers and see how successful they were.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great reply Magician. That is good info. I am somewhat familiar with Ambleside because I launched my tin there a few times. Boat is light enough to drag to the water if I needed to. I do have 4 wheel too, now.

What about Tswassen. Sometimes that looks pretty dodgy in a low tide (where is the water?)

Thanks
james

·
Registered
770 Posts
Generally speaking...

I usually don't bother with fishing the tail end of the ebb unless there's been activity or the weather is exceptional. I mean..the fish move in Vancouver A LOT and anyone that tells you otherwise is FULL OF IT and doesn't know what they're talking about. Not to say that you won't catch fish, but the low tide definitely changes things up. It requires unconventional fishing ideas..you have to think like a fish. I think I have the Capilano figured out at the end of the ebb and during the ebb..however..it's sometimes different from time to time.

I realize that most of us on here probably have jobs, and the window to get out with all the factors thrown in challenges and limits our fishing time, but if you're fishing off peak around Vancouver, gosh almighty...you could be in for a heckuva dry spell. I know anglers that have been out fishing a whole season fishing here ( say 10 times a summer locally in Vancouver) and there when they have time and never hooked a fish. Yikes. That's a more common event in Vancouver than any places on the coast.

As for GPS waypoints, you shouldn't need any, there are few foggy days which will limit your fishing.

A.

·
Registered
46 Posts
try the following link: Bowen Island - Maptech Map Sever

Hold your cursur over the point on the map you want to get a waypoint for and look to the box on the lower left hand corner for your lat/lon numbers. Double click to re-center on cursor etc...

Coverage is for US but where US charts extend into Canadian waters you can use. Try zooming in/out for more/less detail.
Currently having trouble zooming in below the detail shown on the above link but it appears to be a server error that will likely be fixed in short order. If not, it simply could be Canadian waters coverage issue below a certain level of detail - try zooming US water for a test is the problem persists.

Also try: Terra-Server: Bowen Island

http://www.terraserver.com/search/search.asp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts