BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in todays Vancouver Sun about the plan to mine more gravel from the Fraser river near Herrling island. A couple years ago this resulted in killing 2 million pink frys. I don`t understand the logic of this when we are trying to protect salmon habitat.

· Registered
909 Posts
The mining isn't what killed the fry, it was the way the access roads were built to get to the extraction site. I don't think DFO will ever let that happen again. The extraction does'nt come from in water works and dfo is extremely anal about proximity to water that any vehicles can go and work can take place. Done responsibly and I emphisize responsibly it has zero effect on the water quality in the area. Here's a tid bit, up until I believe 86,87 just above Island 22 in minto channel was a major on going extraction that supplied the bulk of the gravel needs for two concrete plants and a aggregate supplier. It does serve two purposes, it does help supply the demand for gravel in the construction industry, which in the province the reporter stated it was for the building boom in the valley, Bull 70% of it is destine to be hauled into the gvrd, and two it does help with water flows, even though it is only a small percentage of what the mighty river deposits down here yearly that gets removed it still means that it is that much less that will be deposited in the channels.
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
260 Posts
Awesome, I look forward to it.

It is good to have someone to keep us in check. I often notice the time stamp on some of my posts after the fact and think what the heck was I doing up that late never mind being on the internet reading about fishing...guess I got the bug.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ha ha ha you got the bug worse than us all Ribwart :happy: just look at your post count :beerchug: cant believe your over 2000posts already, didnt you just hit 1000 around March??

tight lines

HOOK

· Registered
909 Posts
Hey Lastcar,
The road that went out to the Island in question was built with a bed of rip rap 4-5ft range then bedded with river rock and tailings. The rumored theory behind it was the rip rap was supposed to let enough water through so as not to lower levels in the back water. The original plan was to put in culverts along the road to allow sufficent flow behind the road. Dfo took the blame for flaw in the roadway, but rumors, say the proj manager from dfo was influenced from the contractor and band manager for the proj to allow them to go ahead without. Why that was even considered viable is beyond anyone I deal with thoughts. Given the size of the channel they were trying to cross and the area and volume of water that goes through the particular area there should haven't even been a question in regards to the neccesity of culverts to provide sufficent flow past the access road
On Island 22 there has been work going on by various sectors for years. For years they would berm up the front access drop a couple lge culverts in and work away. It does seem like a logical bar to remove gravel from,large and clean in size,close to highway access,and minimal water crossing.
The process of extraction is not just run the excavators out there and start hoggin material anywhere looks good. First off is there workable and saleable material in the site. If material is too fine or too much sand, it becomes a burden to work with, ie. has to be stock piled in different areas and is more a specialized product.
they are looking for a decent blend of very course and minimal fines, That way from the one stock pile they can run the base product through a screen or the crusher and produce a variety of products which are more saleable.
Contrary to popular environmentalist beliefs, the extraction does not harm the spawning grounds in the area. There is no in stream extractions being done when a contact like this is happening, and in fact when work has been completed the contractor is required to shape the work area back into a that fish would enhabit during high water. this is done by anylizing where the water flowed in the past and recreate channels for it to flow agian in the high water.
One point I read in one of the local gazzettes about the proposal was the fact debris would be washed into the river during and after the extraction process. All material that is classified as debris must be hauled off site, and disposed of accordingly. A nother quick point in regards to stripping the vegetation and trees to access the gravel does not happen, it's not allowed. Basically they are looking for areas that are clear of growth because growth needs topsoil and fines and that's not what they are wanting to clear and move before they can actually start work. I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I do know DFO implemented reg pertaining to the max size of trees and density of undergrowth that were allowed to be removed, if I remember right it was something like 6" diameter on trunks.
The days of just removing what ever the contractor whats are long gone and given the disaster that happened last time someone would'nt listen I think the contractor that recieves this new contract will be under such a fine microscope I would'nt want to drop a timmy ho's cup even close to the water.
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
260 Posts
Wow Crazy Drifter, what an informative post. Far more than I expected.

It is good to know that there is close attention paid to this portion of commercial ventures on our waterways. If only the same scrutiny could spread to fish farms or commercial fishing.

Humor me, I have also heard that gravel removal is a benefit to the river and its occupants. Is this simply by having excess gravel removed creating a deeper structure for the fish? I would assume that eventually the river becomes almost level as gravel is brought down into the river eliminating prime holding and travel areas for fish.

· Registered
909 Posts
Lastcar, you pretty much answered your own question, growing up on the river I like other members here have had the oppurtunity to see the changes in the levels first hand. Here are a couple examples for you. Growing up on the mouth of the Vedder when we would head up river to bar fish or plunk, the Cattermole ( Bowmans) run was on average 20 to 25 ft. deep, this last summer it was average 6 to 8 except right by the sort yard it was deeper. Tugs used to run to Hope from the city, no problem, look at the mouth of the Vedder we used to troll in a huge circuit from the mouth to the CN bridge and were in 10 to 12 plus ft of water, this summer from the bridge to the Sumas there wasn't a spot I couldn't have walked across at low tide. Mother nature holds the cards on how a river system functions and survives ,but I think she could use a little help on maintenance now and then
Crazy D

· Registered
1,061 Posts
spring king said:
I just read in todays Vancouver Sun about the plan to mine more gravel from the Fraser river near Herrling island. A couple years ago this resulted in killing 2 million pink fry. I don`t understand the logic of this when we are trying to protect salmon habitat.
I was just up their this morning having a look at the causeway that they are putting across from Seabird island to big bar and the crew that was their were busy with containment booms because they already had a diesel fuel spill into the river. The little backwater were I like to cutthroat fish had a fuel slick covering at least 90% of it. It was so bad that I could not put even wet a line without having my line covered in fuel. :mad: I made the call the to the report a poacher and pollutter hotline on my licence when I got home.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
bill said:
spring king said:
I just read in todays Vancouver Sun about the plan to mine more gravel from the Fraser river near Herrling island. A couple years ago this resulted in killing 2 million pink fry. I don`t understand the logic of this when we are trying to protect salmon habitat.
I was just up their this morning having a look at the causeway that they are putting across from Seabird island to big bar and the crew that was their were busy with containment booms because they already had a diesel fuel spill into the river. The little backwater were I like to cutthroat fish had a fuel slick covering at least 90% of it. It was so bad that I could not put even wet a line without having my line covered in fuel. :mad: I made the call the to the report a poacher and pollutter hotline on my licence when I got home.
Good Work bill!!

· Registered
280 Posts
I dont see how this kind of operation could be any good for anything living.
The silt caused by this is enough to suffocate any juvenile fish still unhatched.
Find a new place to extract gravel,there is plenty out there .
Whats next,the Chehalis. :wallbash:

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Go to Global TV news clips from last night's news....Not much in the way of consults being done, and no oversight, just a lot of concerned individuals from a lot of areas and a small group with $$smiles$$$ on their faces.........Not good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.