BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove out 5 minutes to my favorite ditch in Surrey with my spin caster to escape household chores after dinner. I arrived at around 5:15pm. I tied on my favorite trout spoon and casted in the general direction of the risers. I caught 3 small 14" trout in the first 15 minutes. After another 30 minutes with no action I was satisfied and went home. It's always nice going fishing close to home after a long day of housework.
Tight lines, Sean

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya no kidding i went up friday before work and tagged about 30 but only landed a third of them (barbless hook) i was fishing chronies. i seem to have found a deadly pattern for lately :thumbup: If you have a flyrod you should give that lake a try with it it can produce better than gear almost every time :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
its nothing really secret but my and my dad are the only ones i have seen using it there :confused: here are the exact specs for the ones i tie:

Tiemco 2499BL size 14
Copper beadhead for size 12/14/16 hooks (not sure the exact size of the top of my head but i think its 7/64 or whatever LOL )
Body: Black flashabou (use 3-4 pieces to tie with it easier)
Rib: Red micro wire-size small
I use black Uni-Thread size 8/0 to tie this all

make about 6-7 segments for the body when wrapping the rib and also wrap about 4 wraps under the fly before you go up around the black (around the hook shank) if i have time after hitting the lake today i might take a shot and post it in the chronomid topic in fly tying :thumbup:

if your ever able to get up there before 130-2pm on a weekday when its nice out (not raining or super windy) then you should find me there (when im on afternoons) come say hi I will be the guy with the Pug running around unleashed LOL

·
Registered
917 Posts
HOOK said:
its nothing really secret but my and my dad are the only ones i have seen using it there :confused: here are the exact specs for the ones i tie:

Tiemco 2499BL size 14
Copper beadhead for size 12/14/16 hooks (not sure the exact size of the top of my head but i think its 7/64 or whatever LOL )

make about 6-7 segments for the body when wrapping the rib and also wrap about 4 wraps under the fly before you go up around the black (around the hook shank) if i have time after hitting the lake today i might take a shot and post it in the chronomid topic in fly tying :thumbup:

if your ever able to get up there before 130-2pm on a weekday when its nice out (not raining or super windy) then you should find me there (when im on afternoons) come say hi I will be the guy with the Pug running around unleashed LOL
Hey - the TMC 2499SP-BL is my secret hook for chironomids! You can't use that! Lol. JK my friend. :thumbup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flyfishin Magician said:
HOOK said:

Tiemco 2499BL size 14

Hey - the TMC 2499SP-BL is my secret hook for chironomids! You can't use that! Lol. JK my friend. :thumbup:
Hey Hook and Flyfishin magician, have you ever tried this pattern for interior bows? I have a friend who lives close by who will tie me flies if I give him the money for materials and tieing instructions. Thanks man

·
Registered
917 Posts
The pattern described by Hook is a variation of a very common chironomid - black with red rib. I usually tie this with a white bead head, or with a black bead - with a tuft of white antron or poly to simulate the gills. However, Hook has had success with his so why not give his pattern a try? Funny thing is, I've never really been all that successful with chironomids in the Lower Mainland. The interior is a different matter where I've experienced "fish-a-cast" days. In the LM, I tend to do very well with general searching patterns like the spratley, carey, leeches, buggers, half-backs/full-backs and variations of these. Last Saturday, I couldn't keep those hungry trout off my "self-bodied" carey... ;)

To view some chironomid patterns, try this link:

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,6706.0.html

Check out the sister site which has a fly gallery:

http://www.flyfishbc.com/flies.htm

Also, just try doing a search on the net and you'll find common patterns. Add "Brian Chan" or "Phil Rowley" to your search and you'll be sure to find these! :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I also tied tie them with white or black beads. I bought a couple of these from M&Y and they worked like a hot damn so i tied some up :thumbup: im definately enjoying cathing fish on my own ties. you can take any pattern you see and play with it to your liking. myself i like tying with the black flashabou for body of black chronies as it shines better than acetate floss :thumbup: giving that air trapped look to it :thumbup: but remember the amount of wraps you use for ribs matters. I believe you want to have 7segments :confused: and i hope someone can confirm this as i remember reading this but might be off as it might be 6-8 and not 7 specifically.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
HOOK said:
I also tied tie them with white or black beads. I bought a couple of these from M&Y and they worked like a hot damn so i tied some up :thumbup: im definately enjoying cathing fish on my own ties. you can take any pattern you see and play with it to your liking. myself i like tying with the black flashabou for body of black chronies as it shines better than acetate floss :thumbup: giving that air trapped look to it :thumbup: but remember the amount of wraps you use for ribs matters. I believe you want to have 7segments :confused: and i hope someone can confirm this as i remember reading this but might be off as it might be 6-8 and not 7 specifically.
Fish can't count. The number of ribs really doesn't matter, and will change when you change hook sizes. The important thing to keep in mind that the ribbing look natural. If you are tying a bomber on a size 12 tmc 5263 it might take 8 or 9 wraps to give a nicely ribbed chronie. On a size 16 TMC 2457 3 or 4 might do the trick.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Thanks Prof.

is there a specific spacing then for when you wrap your rib? mine are normally about 1/16-1/8th apart somewhere in and around that :happy:

your special secret hook eh FFM :confused: guess you shouldnt have posted that one pattern tied on it eh LOL :beerchug: its a great hook and being already barbless is a plus :thumbup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
HOOK said:
Thanks Prof.

is there a specific spacing then for when you wrap your rib? mine are normally about 1/16-1/8th apart somewhere in and around that :happy:

your special secret hook eh FFM :confused: guess you shouldnt have posted that one pattern tied on it eh LOL :beerchug: its a great hook and being already barbless is a plus :thumbup:
Lol. No prob Hook. I'm glad that I can pass on some useful information! Btw - another bonus about the TMC 2499 is that it is x-tra sharp!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
thats for damn sure everytime i try to do anything with these hooks they stick to my skin :pissed: frustrating sometimes :happy:

i will be buying more of these hooks in different sizes like 10,12 and maybe 16's

Thanks FFM for letting me steal your favourite hook :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
HOOK said:
Thanks Prof.

s
Sounds like you have it dialed in pretty good. I always tie mine 5/32" apart ;).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.