BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am in grade 12 and am apart of my school's fly fishing club.. but we haven't been on any trips yet, just tying flies lol; our first trip is soon. Surprisingly compared to the general demographic there's a lot of women in the club. Well I live right in the Ruskin Dam area, so I think there's quite a few spots within a reasonable distance. So I'm thinking about getting a Fly Rod and Reel setup. But I will only have about 100 bucks to spend on that. Is getting a 100 dollar setup even worth it? Should I just save? I'm not sure.. I'm also thinking of checking out thrift shops.. if I can get ANY fly rod and reel for less than 50 bucks, well hey, that seems like a better deal than anywhere else.

On a side note, Tenkara seems really interesting (Japanese traditional fly fishing, look it up), although the limitations are that you can only cast out max 15-20ft (The line is only about the same length as the rod, for retrieval, as there is no reel) and it seems like even the bigger Tenkara rods are only rated for up to 8lbs, although you could probably get something bigger. The benefit is the rod is so small it could nearly fit into your pocket lol. So I'm thinking about that, but doesn't sound too versatile eh?

Another thing I'm thinking about is in terms of reels, there's spinning, baitcast, and fly reels, right? (Probably more). Well I'm just a newb but.. can't you fly fish with any reel? Why is a fly reel better? I don't totally get that lol.

P.S. If you have any suggestions for rod and reel combos below 150, please let me know here!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Welcome aboard bughead. Keep your eyes peeled for spring time sales. Berry's, Riverside, Searun and Hatchmatch'r all have good deals at times (Dragonfly combos under $150, etc) Also check out the classifieds on this site and flyfishbc.com and even post what you are looking for there.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Maybe if you post something in the classifieds…something like, "WTB: Your cheapest flyrod. I'm a young guy still in school and want to go toss some flies. Must be less than 100 dollars, cuz I need a few bucks for a fly or two."

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Welcome to the board. It is typical to have so many questions when jumping into the world of fly fishing. I would suggest narrowing your intentions down first. As far as what you are interested in targeting. Both Trout (5-6 weight set up ) and Salmon (7-8 weight set up) opportunities can be had in your neck of the woods. As the boys have already stated, there are always entry level combos coming along from both the shops and private sales. So for sure keep your eyes peeled in the forum classifieds, and maybe give your closest shop a call.
As far as Tenkara method goes, I suggest doing some further research online, as I’m not too sure there is a big following of that particular method around these parts. I could be wrong but I think that would leave you pretty much limited to small stream/trout fishing anyway.

Finder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts