BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are wanting to head out hali fishing up there somewhere. I know hot spots are pretty secretive but is there anyone who fishes up there that would mind pointing a guy in the direction of a spot worth going to? I HATE asking for ANYTHING but we're dying to go and would gladly trade info on spots i.e for steelies, salmon as we both fish those hard and achieve better than average catches but havent really targeted hali's until now. I have a gps if the spots are mapped and you have coordinates. Or even to meet a couple guys and go out in a couple boats! We'll be fishing out of a Campion 210 so she's more than sea worthy to go any distance. Hell, I'd even share half my catch :)
Think De La Hoya's going to win tonight ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we honestly did hook into 10 springs in one day not too long ago.
It's slowed down considerably as of late, (may usually is a bit slow here according to my fishing journal) well as far as getting them to the boat, I've had a few lost to seals (a 15lb+ yesterday) and landed a small 8lb, this was over an 8 hour day.
My buddy and I have had 3 hogs break off including one that robbed him of a rod and reel.
Where I fish, its a hump that comes up from 260 to 175 pinnacle, about 500 yards long but only 100 yards wide where on the outside it drops down to 300 feet. I usually take my fish at about the 180-190 depth around this oval shaped hump (we call it the hump.)
A lot of people fish this same spot but there is a lot of tricks to it, obviously tidal flow is one of them and fishing into the salmon instead of away from them is key, but knowing what side and depth they hold at on each tide change and depending on how fast its ripping through is a huge factor as well, so over time I've become pretty dialed in on this one area. Mind you the stretch from the Quadra lighthouse to Lambert channel/Chrome Island is not all that far really and there are a lot of productive holes between these two locations, so we're pretty lucky as far as fishing goes here.
On average from december to mid april I would say we averaged 5 fish per outting.
As of right now the blue backs are schooling and feeding heavily on the surface, there are some big summer run chinook in the area already (first one made it to the hatchery april.6) and the hatchery has some hogs in its holding tank. The seals are getting thick but fortunately the dogfish havent shown up yet so a guy can still do well with cut plug or anchovy/teaser head combos.
My biggest tip to anyone right now is "purple haze"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jimmy

Wow. It is a bit different over here around Vancouver. Anyway, thanks for the tip on purple haze. I have been holding off because I have way too much other tackle in the box, but I think I will bite on this one. Maybe a few hootchies at least. I was looking at a few nice new flashers in the shop yesterday. They had at least 4 different purple haze flashers. Another one I thought was interesting was the new Luhr Jensen flasher that is same pattern as my favourite Coyote spoon. The greeny yellow and glow with black dot eye and red spot. Were you talking hootchies or flashers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Purple Haze UV Flashers and a radiant OLR12 hootchie with a pearlescent mylar insert is my top producer.
Coyote spoon in the purple ghost is good as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey men

we fish from telegraph cove each august, and usually concentrate on Malcolm island farther up around the head, or even Mitchell bay. last year was phenominal for salmon fishing, we had one MORNING with 13 legal springs to the boat, and that didnt even include the afternoon flood tide.
we fish for halibut very hard, and good halibut spots are sure tricky and hard to come by. we have landed smaller chicken halibut out in mitchell bay, and out in 100 feet off lizard point. However, last year we got a 120, and lost one we figure was just as big but it is a very small area and hopefully there are more in there.
Either way good luck and post reports at some point!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
In Port Hardy ...... fishing for Halibut is sometimes good off the airport. Nice sandy bottom ..... fishes well during pink years. Another place to try (a little ways out) would be around Echo Island in the Deserters Islands Group. Spring fishing is good in a lot of places ...... from Duval Point to Dillon Point and Daphine Point. Beaver Harbour is good aloing the "Slot" located between Peel Island & Deer Island (Twin Rocks). Also try the eastern side of Deer Island. Beaver Harbour is loaded with kelp beds and is awesome for bottom fish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
GOFISH said:
In Port Hardy ...... fishing for Halibut is sometimes good off the airport. Nice sandy bottom ..... fishes well during pink years. Another place to try (a little ways out) would be around Echo Island in the Deserters Islands Group. Spring fishing is good in a lot of places ...... from Duval Point to Dillon Point and Daphine Point. Beaver Harbour is good aloing the "Slot" located between Peel Island & Deer Island (Twin Rocks). Also try the eastern side of Deer Island. Beaver Harbour is loaded with kelp beds and is awesome for bottom fish.
I second this.
Some real nice fish come in from the Echo area. Don't be afraid of fishing the rock piles up there. :wink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for more info on this. My buddys uncle and friends went up to where we were and got nothing for 3 days! Neither did any of the charters, extremely rare apparently. They must move around a lot with the bigger tides ?? On a better note he was jigging for cod in 80 feet of water and ended up with a 28lb spring in the boat ! (this was all about 2 weeks ago)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try to get a handle of what the comercials are doing. If you see their gear, try to fish slightly down stream from theirs. NEVER try the up stream side.......You'll only be begging for trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WaterWalkin' said:
My buddy and I are wanting to head out hali fishing up there somewhere. I know hot spots are pretty secretive but is there anyone who fishes up there that would mind pointing a guy in the direction of a spot worth going to? I HATE asking for ANYTHING but we're dying to go and would gladly trade info on spots i.e for steelies, salmon as we both fish those hard and achieve better than average catches but havent really targeted hali's until now. I have a gps if the spots are mapped and you have coordinates. Or even to meet a couple guys and go out in a couple boats! We'll be fishing out of a Campion 210 so she's more than sea worthy to go any distance. Hell, I'd even share half my catch :)
[/quote

·
Registered
3 Posts
WaterWalkin' said:
Hi at this time of year i would try at top of nahwitti bar and its only 50ft deep or pine island is about 120-240 ft deep

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey
I've fished up around there for hali's about 4 years ago out of port Mcneil around hanson island
I can't think of the exact name of the places we fished at but I'll dig a chart out in the next couple of
days to refresh my memory. We did quite well on halibut and salmon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try Cracroft point from the point and down the north side about a half mile in close in about
300 feet of water. Also in around the plumper islands, but be careful it's very rocky so don't
keep your gear on the bottom for very long. Just long enough to find bottom then get it up
right away.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Wow....this thread sure did get up out of the archives.

WWalkin is still gettin advice 3 years after his inquiry!! ;) ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts