BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As posted by Rick this morning: http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/17167-FN0891-Recreational-Halibut-All-areas-Halibut-Fishing-Closure‏?p=134476#post134476

This is Complete and utter BS! From First-hand observance, the hit from Bamfield, Port and Ukee was down substantially right across the board this season! For the first season in my experience, a great many of the clients didn't even want to bother with the run out for a single fish each, preferring instead to Enjoy The Madness that the salmon fishing was instead. And while the crew of guides did collect a few, our collective experience strongly points out that the numbers were NO-WHERE near those of the past several seasons.

A similar case many here are not likely aware of...
Area G Troll (WCVI) realizes a September opening based completely upon any "surplus" TAC left over once the recreational sector numbers have been tabulated for that particular season. Given DFO's stance towards Area G of late, it came as no surprise that the numbers were "tweaked" just enough to deny any such opening this fall. However, once the numbers provided by the Department were analyzed by outside investigators, a LOUD Cry went up both from the Area G Representatives, as well as those representing the Recreational Sector. Were the numbers thus provided to be believed, it was readily apparent that EVERY SINGLE TRIP to the grounds had resulted in ALL anglers FAR surpassing their legal catch numbers! Shocking! ???
When the cry began to wander towards Enforcement issues as a consequence, DFO immediately changed those numbers (a fairly massive reduction actually) and announced an opening for Area G without sufficient time left in the month to prosecute it! So, in the end, by twisting the data to their own agenda, they did realize what their intent was - basically keeping Area G OFF the water. :mad:

The reason I post that is there are direct parallels between that little (sickening) scenario, and what is occurring with recreational halibut fishing. I did note that several folks have stated that they are prepared to take DFO to task over this new set of "spun" catch figures. I would like to amongst the first to note that if there is Anything I can do to help that along, please do feel free to count on me!

Methinks the time is long overdue we stood idly by while we are continuously lied to to our detriment!

Thoughts?

Ticked!
Nog

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Nog,

I caught my first Hali this year up in Tofino... what a great feeling it was to catch such a big fish, and to watch my wife do the same! very exciting! I have recently bought a bigger boat, and have been actively planning a trip to sooke from the mainland to catch a couple more for table-fare during the winter... I guess I'll have to speed up my planning!

I wish I knew more about what impact this will have in the recreational fishing world, or even what it's been like in past years to comment, or even join the discussion!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sixty-Four looks, and not even a single reply ???

Are we prepared then to simply take this matter lying down? ::)

Sheesh!
Nog
Gee, will this affect the guiding business ?? If this affected your commercial side of your livelihood, what would your thoughts be then? Do you own any halibut quota ?? The fence has two sides, what one is it today ??

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Gee, will this affect the guiding business ?? If this affected your commercial side of your livelihood, what would your thoughts be then? Do you own any halibut quota ?? The fence has two sides, what one is it today ??
No this doesn't directly effect me as far as business is concerned. My involvement offshore culminated a couple of weeks back now, and I have taken up The Gun instead. Didn't and don't have any aspirations about returning to the chuck until well down the line...

Don't own halibut quota, never will. And btw the method that quota which is out there was originally obtained qualifies as nothing short of THEFT!

There are a handful of charter guides I know that will be effected, some quite heavily so. That however was not the reason I posted.

I did so to point out the way we are "managed" by the powers that be, and their unscrupulous use of figures literally grabbed out of thin air to do so.
Not too difficult to wrap your head around the implications for all fisheries should we continuously take it on the chin with no response.
Guess others simply can't see that. Unfortunate some of the same then try to make this a "personal" issue with the messenger. ::)

Whatever. Carry On...
Nog

·
Registered
45 Posts
No this doesn't directly effect me as far as business is concerned. My involvement offshore culminated a couple of weeks back now, and I have taken up The Gun instead. Didn't and don't have any aspirations about returning to the chuck until well down the line...

Don't own halibut quota, never will. And btw the method that quote which is out there was originally obtained qualifies as nothing short of THEFT!

There are a handful of charter guides I know that will be effected, some quite heavily so. That however was not the reason I posted.

I did so to point out the way we are "managed" by the powers that be, and their unscrupulous use of figures literally grabbed out of thin air to do so.
Not too difficult to wrap your head around the implications for all fisheries should we continuously take it on the chin with no response.
Guess others simply can't see that. Unfortunate some of the same then try to make this a "personal" issue with the messenger. ::)

Whatever. Carry On...
Nog
I just wanted to hear your thoughts,as you are both a commercial fisher as well as a guide. As for the quotas, it's better than the old derby days. If we were still there, guides like yourself wouldn't be fishin halibut for sport, that's for sure.There would be none left::) It's what, 3 months, I don't think anybody's taking it on the chin too bad, and I wasn't being personal, just general in your field{s}. It could be a lot worse Nog. The DFO have been fudging numbers for the last 2 decades in both sport and commercial, I agree that they should be investigated and held accountable.

On the gun, I hope you get what your after, those monster's from Saskatchewan were huge !! Going back!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pretty sure that DFO is not fudging the numbers, I do believe hearing that the average size of Halibut was up this year on the west coast. Also the sport fishery was over the the TAC by a fair bit. At least the closure came after the peak season on the island not in august. just my two cents

·
Registered
162 Posts
And just what Ouija Board did you pull that one off? ???

Wondering...
Nog
my own fishing ouija board of course ;) and from the notice reports....

Amendment to FN0891: Variation Order Number amended to 2010-426. Throughout the 2010 recreational halibut fishing season, the Department in conjunction with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Working Group have reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates. Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable Catch has been reached. Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut will close effective 23:59 hours October 18, 2010 for the balance of the year. 2011 management actions will be developed throughout the fall and announcements will be made in early 2011. Variation Order 2010-426 is in effect. FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact: Tamee Mawani 604-666-9033 or Devona Adams 604-666-3271

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Nog, I'd sooner see the DFO have a Halibut pulse system like they do with Prawning. I was planning a trip to Sooke area until now. They could also have some areas open rather than shut the whole thing down!

Fishinfool

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Nog, I'd sooner see the DFO have a Halibut pulse system like they do with Prawning. I was planning a trip to Sooke area until now. They could also have some areas open rather than shut the whole thing down!
That would be called "Progressive Thinking". Unfortunately NOT at all in-line with The Dino and his warped out tactics. ::)

And, it would also be "putting the cart before the horse" as it were.
At this point, any and all numbers are simply a "Guesstimate" generated solely by DFO personnel. These numbers are based on limited creel survey data combined with fly-over boat counts, as well as reports generated by a selected few of the Lodges operating on our coast. To suggest that these numbers are even close to adequate is inane. Yet, that is the model we are currently stuck with.

As a great many of the Guides (myself included) and many of the non-guided crews have noted, the interest and subsequent pressure on halibut this year was substantially less than that which we have seen over the past several years. Thus, the numbers caught were dramatically down as well. I, amongst many, have a very tough time swallowing that the TAC was exceeded under these conditions. In many mind's eyes, DFO is once again adhering to an Agenda, one that obviously could care less for the Recreational Sector and it's economic impacts, instead choosing to favor their well-off Buddies who they "Gifted" 88% of the TAC in any given year to.

There have been some calls to produce the data sets this decision was based on. to date, there has been no response. Not surprising... ???

Nog

·
Registered
572 Posts
My partner sent me up an article that was in the Sun this morning, saying that the 2011 season would be shut down.

Question how do you get a list as to who these 436 people/compainies are that have been "gifted" 88% of the halibut quota.

I did right my MP with my concerns but his NDP so who knows what good that did...

Bret

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My partner sent me up an article that was in the Sun this morning, saying that the 2011 season would be shut down.
Hey & Hi Bret,

Went through the online version of today's Vancouver Sun (thinking that was likely it) and NO mention of this ???
Can you shoot me either a copy, or the title and author's name as well as date? I would like to look into this...

Will see what I can do to find the list you are seeking as well...

TIA,
Nog

·
Registered
572 Posts
My partner sent me a PDF he said it ran on the front page of the B section. If you can email mail me I can do a forward.

Next question there is a 88% comercial and a 12% sports fishery quota, would the FN take be out of the sports fishery or are they above and beyond this?

Food for thought, if I kicked onto Ch 16 and ask CG to inform DFO that I would be arriving at the dock with a Halibut and everyone that went out did this what might happen, bet the court system couldn't handle it.

Never was one for protesting, but after spending 28 years in the Canadian Forces I do know how to overload the system.

Bret

1 - 20 of 24 Posts