BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad has offered to take my son, brother and I on a halibut trip next spring. Not sure if spring is a good time. He is talking Alaska (Cook Inlet) for 3 fishing days or maybe someplace closer for a few extra days. I've (he either) never fished for halibut before, and am not sure we really need to go to the US to do it, although I am sure it is beautiful, but it does add to the costs. Looking for your thoughts on where would be some good options. A few key points.
Dad is not able (health) to do the long full day boat trips. Going for a morning fish, then back to the lodge for lunch, and back out later would be good.
A calmer area/inlet (not the open west coast rollers) would be best for pop as well.
Not looking to be on a larger boat with gunnels lined with other fishers.
Thanks for your pointers and recommendations.
Hoochee

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lots of options on the BC Coast for you that wouldn't require a trip to Alaska. Your location shows as Tri-Cities so the Swiftsure Banks off of Port Renfrew are a great option that isn't too far and consistently produces halibut.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lots of options on the BC Coast for you that wouldn't require a trip to Alaska. Your location shows as Tri-Cities so the Swiftsure Banks off of Port Renfrew are a great option that isn't too far and consistently produces halibut.
Thats true, but depending on the weather you might get big Pacific rollers....

You can also try the waters off Victoria, not so productive as Swiftsure, but calmer....

·
Registered
347 Posts
We have fished Cook Inlet with Anglers Lodge from the Kenai River. It is excellent fishing with quality people. Pull up on google, Anglers Lodge, tele 888 262 1747. And, the Kings are big in the Kenai, I think the local record was app. 100#. Salt.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Good places on south tip include 27 fathom mark at Race Rocks just south of Sooke,and Constance Bank off Victoria. There are some good guides that will take 3 people for 5 hour trip at only $300CnF. As carpweekend stated Renfrew is also good. You've said you're planning a spring trip so you have plenty of time to book. Have a great time where ever you decide to go!

·
Registered
745 Posts
My Dad has offered to take my son, brother and I on a halibut trip next spring. Not sure if spring is a good time. He is talking Alaska (Cook Inlet) for 3 fishing days or maybe someplace closer for a few extra days. I've (he either) never fished for halibut before, and am not sure we really need to go to the US to do it, although I am sure it is beautiful, but it does add to the costs. Looking for your thoughts on where would be some good options. A few key points.
Dad is not able (health) to do the long full day boat trips. Going for a morning fish, then back to the lodge for lunch, and back out later would be good.
A calmer area/inlet (not the open west coast rollers) would be best for pop as well.
Not looking to be on a larger boat with gunnels lined with other fishers.
Thanks for your pointers and recommendations.
Hoochee
Doug-

Get hold of Matt (Ironnoggin).... He has taken many people out (guides out of Port) from this forum and others that I frequent. I was going to set something up with him this year for my Dad,son and I but things didn't work out due to the accident... he is a real character, full of good fishing (and hunting) stories! I personally would start with him OR (a big or!) I would also use Tofinoguy.... I have talked to Shawn a few times and won't hesitate to go with him! He is coming over in October to catch a Lions game and do some dino fishing..... might be a good time to have a quick talk with him!!!

Mike
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hoochee...

Something to remember about a "halibut" trip is it could be over pretty darn quickly in BC waters. I would definitely look to go somewhere where you could target salmon and hali's/bottom fish. Your daily limit is 1 and possession limit is 2 I think everywhere up and down the BC Coast. A 3 day trip could be a bit overkill for searching for hali's. If you hit somewhere at the right time you could get 3 hali's on day 1, and 3 on day 2 in short order. You may not need to go in for lunch and then "out for the evening".

Hali's are tough fish, but some guides may not let you sit there and catch and release halibut all day? I am no guide but do catch a fair bit of halibut every year while salmon fishing; generally unless they are really small hali's the first ones we get are bonked and in the boat. That pretty much holds true if they come in at anywhere between 20ish and 65ish pounds. Have only bonked one larger than 65ish and it was just about 80.

Personally........I would look to heading for an "all in one" as opposed to "just" hali fishing.

Unless you went up to try hali/salmon fishing on the central coast in areas where it's a "bit more" protected you are going to be at the mercy of the swells in a great deal of areas in the southern part of BC. I have not fished up towards Shearwater and areas north along the coast but from footage I have seen there do seem to be areas in more protected waters you could fish.

When I was in Nootka this year for my first time there were plenty of fish (hali and salmon) being caught on the "inside" or at least towards the mouth of the sound. If you timed it to get there a bit earlier before the "slot limits" on salmon come into play inside the surfline on the WCVI you could likely do a pretty good trip....within protected waters and target hali's and salmon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Refer to my post above, out of Kenai, Cook inlet. You go out at say 8am, 30 minutes out, max of 4 fishermen. Then, nonstop, fish 30 to say 60#. After 3 of them or so , you will not want to fish anymore. I quit after 3, wife did 4, I helped on the last one. Limit 2 per person, and that is plenty. Salt.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If the swells are a problem then i would agree with Teaxas salt. Alaska is, by far the best for calm water Hali fishing - as long as cost isn't a consideration.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great feedback and PM's everyone. I appreciate the tips and comments. You have given me a bit to think about...daily and trip possession limits, as well as the option to go after a Spring or two if the halibut thing is done quick. I'm going to have a chat with Dad and my sBrother and make an area choice. If pop wants to go north, and likes the Alaska idea, I think we may do cook inlet. I'd rather see this area for the first time from this perspective, than a buffet line on a cruise ship.
I was out with friends one day off Campbell River. Hooked a Hali mooching for springs. 80#er. Rare at the time for the area. The skinny guy that brought it in was toasted by the time it was boated. I like sturgeon C and R, but think we would pass on hali catch and release if we had our limit.
Thanks to all for the ideas. It was very helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts