BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Does anyone have any advice on halibut gear and setup that works well or a possible area to try out of Victoria? I've never fished for halibut before so would really appreciate any tips at all! Got access to a great boat but like I said I,m completely green on this fish!

Tks Canuck

· Registered
21 Posts
we use a small spreader bar, with enough weight to get it down to the bottom, strips of salmon belly , work well as they are tough to get off the hook, try to fish at a slack tide so that you are not drifting as much, if there is a tide ,but the motor in gear & try to stay in the same spot

· Registered
1,989 Posts
When we stayed at the canadian princess in tofino, while fishing for halibut we were using green and white minnow jigs probably3-4 oz and just drop it to the bottom and jig away! I managed to catch a 15 lb spring as well doing this!

C.K.

· Registered
84 Posts
large white 12" "glub" seems to be what most are using as well as the salmon belly... I was in Tofino last year and I pass by a charter boat guy who is cleaning the limit of 4 people of halibut and I asked what he was using... He pulled out that 12" white "glub" from the inside of the halibut he was cleaning... I was sold :)

· Registered
3,928 Posts
abbyfireguy said:
Fishing out of Ucluelet June 27-29th...Hopefully the Halibut cooperate...
I'm taking the gravol bottle just in case the weather gets lumpy... :wallbash:
abby.......not sure if you have tried them, but I didn't believe in those braclets but it worked for a friends girlfriend who is always miserable when we are out on the chuck. She usually is feeling quite up and down and that is even on a 42' boat. She threw one on a couple of weekends ago before we headed up north and she was fine with no gravol.....but it WAS there just in case.

· Registered
22 Posts
If you are the least bit concerned you may end up blowin chunks if it gets rough...

:happy: TAKE A COUPLE OF ANTI-NAUSEA TABLETS THE NIGHT BEFORE.:happy:

Its too late once you are out there... in it...

Your friends ( and the skipper ) will thank you...

Nothing can ruin a great fishing trip faster than last nights wings

· Registered
17 Posts
Make sure when you are jigging for the hali pound the weight off the bottom. Once you hit bottom come up about 2-3 feet then let 'er drop you want that constant pounding it will help bring in the hali. If you don't have salmon bellies to use for bait use any commercially avaiable jig but tie a herring onto the side of the jig with some mono, that way they can't slurp the bait off.
Bigsvend

· Registered
57 Posts
Some people swear by the scent capsules, but they have never worked for me... my preference is fresh octopus. And if you don't have any then put a piece of salmon belly out the night before you go to soften and rot a little - then just use it on a hali or circle hook.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.