BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Cap_Slayer,i have difference centerpin pin reels,like kingfisher and talisman and they all has the adjustment screw in the middle of the spool for adjusting the end play of the spool,now i am planning to get into Hardy product,that why i ask,just in case. Thanks again

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
No need to make adjustments on a silex...they are rather "hardy" in my experience... ::) I've been using mine for longer than I can remember and other than some lube once in a while they don't need much maintainance...

Just make sure the spool spins true, don't bang her around too much and she'll treat you well for the rest of your life...LoL ;D

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ribwart said:
No need to make adjustments on a silex...they are rather "hardy" in my experience... ::) I've been using mine for longer than I can remember and other than some lube once in a while they don't need much maintainance...

Just make sure the spool spins true, don't bang her around too much and she'll treat you well for the rest of your life...LoL ;D
Hi Rib,thanks for the response,this is my first hardy product i bought,i found it is slight difference then my john milner centerpin reels(talisman and kingfisher),at least they have a adjustment screw to adjust the end play of the spool. So ,is there anyway i can tighten up the spool end play a bit?This silex i have is almost new,but i just dont like the noise.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Noise...? Ok LT, let's try and figure out what's goin' on with your reel...

First off, what kind of Silex is it...? For instance, mine is "The Superba"...

Second, By the terms "spool end play", what exactly do you mean...? Does the spool wobble when it spins in free spool mode...?

Thirdly, does the spool seem loose...? Is this what you mean by "spool end play"? If you pull up on the spool how much does it give...?

Lastly, there shouldn't really be any noise with your silex...at most, when you really get it spinning full speed it will "hum" a bit, what kind of noise are you gettng...?

I'm no expert with reels, but I might be able to help...

Let me know,

rib

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ribwart said:
Noise...? Ok LT, let's try and figure out what's goin' on with your reel...

First off, what kind of Silex is it...? For instance, mine is "The Superba"...

Second, By the terms "spool end play", what exactly do you mean...? Does the spool wobble when it spins in free spool mode...?

Thirdly, does the spool seem loose...? Is this what you mean by "spool end play"? If you pull up on the spool how much does it give...?

Lastly, there shouldn't really be any noise with your silex...at most, when you really get it spinning full speed it will "hum" a bit, what kind of noise are you gettng...?

I'm no expert with reels, but I might be able to help...

Let me know,

rib
First- Mine is the (The silex model),
Second-The spool spin perfect,no wobble at all
Third-End play mean when you pull up on the spool,there are some play between the backing and the spool(where the milner reel or J.W.young reel
has a center adjusting screw to adjust the free play on it,but the silex has no screw at all
Lastly-there is no noise at all while spinning the reel,only when you shake it by hand or while you retrieve your line fast(knocking noise)
Thanks Rib
P.S. I heard there is a fix for wobble spool,do you know what it is?

· Registered
409 Posts
If the guy still works on the reels it is Jerry Wong, he even makes his own reels.

Most tackle shops will have his number for you to call.

He loves to "Hot Rod" his reels as he calls it.

All of my Silex's make a little knocking noise. THink it is normal.

· Registered
840 Posts
Very carfully you can use a punch on the back side of the spool ,light taps , then try .I have fixed a few doing this but be carful not to hit too hard.

your wanting to hit the release lever this will take up small amounts of end play.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Yes, mine has this play also...I guess it has always been there, I just hadn't noticed it as much...

Interesting that the newer versions of such reels have an adjustment screw, I like that option....Although the noise you refer to hasn't bothered me as of yet, I can certainly see how it could be a nuisance....

You should look into some of the reel guys around town, some of them have upgrades and such for older reels like the silex's...I am trying to find a number/name or two now...

Like any centerpin, they are finely machined peices of work, but I think with the silex's less attention was paid to the length of the pin and how well it joins with the clip at the top of the spool...thus the play you refer to.

It's tricky and I wouldn't want anyone making adjustments that hadn't successfully done it before, but it should be feasible for a qualified reel guy to to work on that...there are parts available already to upgrade some older silex's with new features, just not sure if such parts include solving this dilemna yet...

Jetboatjim has a number for a guy that does some work on upgrades maybe he can help us with this...I have it written down somewhere here...

I suspect this is a common trait for most if not all silex's...

will get back to you,

rib

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
LT, contact Jetboatjim and get the contact number from him if you can...sorry I wish i could be of more help here, but I'm not quite moved in yet since the move on June 1st and all my contact numbers and stuff are still hidden away in boxes and such, I don't suggest tapping the end of the spool like he suggested, get someone with some experience and accountability to check it out instead....

I do know Jim knows a guy at one of the local shops that does upgrades on certain silex's, he might be able to help tighten up that loose spool...

If you do find a solution to this little problem, please let me know how it went, as now that you have pointed out this weird noise, it might start to bug me too, then I will have to get it fixed...LoL...

Sorry I know it's not much, but I'm trying...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.