BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Haig-Browns Fisherman's Fall book he mentions this fly pattern but only give a partial tie. Have been trying to find the complete tie for several years now with no luck.
Believe it was tied by somebody by the name of Harger.
Apparently its good for salmon in the river.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There is also a book at the library that was doen by Art Lingren that has Haig-Brown's favorite flies in it. I just returned it to the one in Maple Ridge. It is definatly worth a look and the entire book is all patterns from Haig-Brown. I have also just finished reading Too know a river and I do not remember it in there. Art Lingren does explain that Roderick was very vague about certain patterns and he had to do alot of research to find the exact recipes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is some additional information.

In Fisherman's Fall, page 137, it tells of Haig-Brown using this pattern for cutthroats.
He made a cast behind a school of chum salmon and hooked one in the back.
The description he gave of the fly was it had a claret hackle and wing, no mention
of the body or tail. Not sure, but I heard the pattern was in Northwest Fly Patterns by Roy Patrick, the first edition.

I believe the tyers name to be Don Harger from the state of Washington.

The fly patterns of R.H. Brown by Art Lingren is a book every salmon fisherman should own.
Have used his patterns with great success.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
fishmonger said:
Say it's the 4th printing.
Looking for the 1st.
Have you looked in the 4th edition? Most later editions of a book contain are very few, if any, changes from previous editions. Unless you are certain that the pattern is only found in the 1st edition, a later edition (at $10) might be worth a look. Just a thought. :peace:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Prof.
Just had a look at my book selection and thought I had the 4th edition.
Turns out the books I have are Fly patterns of the Northwest.
Does anybody have Roy Patrick's book?
Would like to know if Harger's Orange is in it.
If it is will buy the book.
That would make book number 101.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.