BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went down the harrison river yesterday,saw a ton of seals , eagles , and lots of dead fish . there was some chum jumping but in very bad shape . tried several spoons etc not even a bite , so where have the fish gone to or is it to early .

river rat

· Registered
461 Posts
We have been reading all summer on the forums, the fish are late. Well maybe they aren't late, maybe they just aren't there. I spent a month holiday this summer at various locations from Barkley Sound, to Telegraph Cove, and the Gulf Islands. Granted, I didn't fish every single day, but I spent a lot of time on the water fishing. Sum total of salmon that I saw jump was 3, (while in Barkley Sound 2 weeks) in an entire month. I would say this was my poorest year of Salmon fishing in over 30 years on the chuck.

Sockeye returns have crashed. Wild Coho stocks are doing very poorly. Springs on the Fraser are having a tough time. It's not a pink year locally. To top it off, DFO is predicting that Chum returns will be lower than normal this year also. When the total returns for the year are tallied up this will probably end up being one of the poorest on record. No one wants to admit it, but (with a few exceptions) Salmon stocks on the south coast are reaching unsustainable levels for harvest. I hope things improve soon, because if they continue the way they're going my kids won't be able to enjoy Salmon fishing when they grow up.

· Registered
22 Posts
I was there on Saturday afternoon, and there were good numbers of fish moving through then. We hit quite a few fish in a couple of hours of fishing. It certainly has been better at this time of year in previous years, but all in all not too bad.

· Registered
461 Posts
Pehaps I'm just getting too old. I have been fishing long enough to remember when the Salmon fishing on the south coast was great. Everything is relative I guess, but the longer you've been around the worse things appear in comparison.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.