BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
No coho brought up this very question with me recently...A few get caught every year, last year a couple members mentioned it as well...I think one of the pics was in the "coho and springs" thread...after no coho's pm, I decided to look into it.

I've contacted several people on the matter, including ortho who has a friend at the hatchery, so we should get an explanation soon...

Speculation...? Perhaps it is a particular generation of whites taken from hatchery stock and they don't want to mix those in from earlier generations of stock...? I swear I had discussed this very topic with someone that knew the answer, but for the life of me I can't remember what the explanation was...

Regardless, the answer will come eventually...

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yeah that's it Shane...I knew I had heard it before...each fin clipped white spring will have a coded wire in it to track and use as a fisheries management tool...

It helps fisheries do stock assessments, calculate survivial rates, keep track of different generations of stocks, etc, etc, etc...

I just got off the phone with the chehalis hatchery manager... ;)

Flyfishingmagician...keep the head, turn it in...prizes are awarded at the end of the season... :thumbup:

I think I might be losing some of my memory lately...the years are catching up... ::)

G

·
It is indeed for the chinook tagging program. Participation is voluntary but most folks I talk to don't participate because of their general dislike for our government ministries. Maybe because they really don't care about the average fisherman and and have a complete disregard for what we have to say.

·
Registered
195 Posts
On saturday I caught a spring with a yellow wire pierced through its body just below the dorsal fin.
It extended back about 5 inches on each side.
The fish seemed to be in good shape and swam away fine.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Xray said:
On saturday I caught a spring with a yellow wire pierced through its body just below the dorsal fin.
It extended back about 5 inches on each side.
The fish seemed to be in good shape and swam away fine.
Any ideas?
Sounds like a Floy Tag or Spaghetti Tag that is used to study the migration and growth of the salmon. There is a serial number on that tag. DFO will cross reference the number. From the area the fish was taged at. Too its final destination like its home river at spawning time. :cheers: sage

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
If your out there and you kill a clipped one try and find the CREEL SURVEY people that are on the river. They can take the heads in for you. She was out again (one of them) where we were fishing taking scales and i even heard her ask for a head (may have been a clipped fish) I think this is a great idea but they should have clipped a different fin because this can get extremely confusing for people that dont know how to ID fish properly :wallbash:

I remember years back the Creel Survey people would have to scan every head because none were clipped. The ladies looked very tired at the end of the day having to lift up huge salmon all day :cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
HOOK said:
I think this is a great idea but they should have clipped a different fin because this can get extremely confusing for people that dont know how to ID fish properly :wallbash:
What other fin did you have in mind because I am fairly certain they need the other ones. :happy:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
beveratt said:
It is indeed for the chinook tagging program. Participation is voluntary but most folks I talk to don't participate because of their general dislike for our government ministries. Maybe because they really don't care about the average fisherman and and have a complete disregard for what we have to say.
Its not just for the springs, its for all salmon that are clipped, mainly springs and hos.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
the maxilla is the upper jaw.

fin-wise: pectoral, pelvic, dorsal, adipose, anal and tail...those are your choices! From what I've seen on the forums they do clip the maxilla. Ive never seen it personally though

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ha ha my bad. but i also read that somewhere so i just though it was a different name for one of the fins :hmmm:

I still think they should do something a bit different per specie. I mean how many guys are out there?? and how many fish get killed because guys think its something else :wallbash:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.