BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my trip to the cap yesterday,i was ready to go again but this morning i tightend the line and to my surprise the reel was jammed.I could reel in but it was very hard so i tried pulling hard too.I cant cast or reel but its not a worm gear.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Tension?
star drag?
is there a loop of line slid in around the spool?
Does your spool release button work?

I'll dig mine out and have a look

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i found the problem.I took off the small cap and when i reel the thing that the cap controls spins when i reel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind it has something to do with the spool i took the handle part off and pulled line and it was very tight.

·
161 Posts
Wrong section ?

·
Registered
917 Posts
yeah i think its the worm gear/pawl.
OK - the worm gear/pawl is one of the first things to go on this reel. You can try taking apart the worm gear and pawl and clean them. Use an old toothbrush with some WD 40 to clean out the worm gear. Get all the grease and dirt out of it. Clean the pawl as well - you can wipe it clean with a rag dipped in WD 40. Use a Q-tip to clean out the tube/housing that the worm gear fits inside. When you put everything back together, I recommend not greasing the worm gear. Just add a few drops of reel oil and you'll be good to go.

Unfortunately, if there is damage to either the worm gear or pawl, then you'll need to replace them. You can order a replacement worm gear and pawl from Mike's Reel repair. Even upgrade the pawl to a ceramic pawl - these are smoother and will last longer. Heck, order an extra set so you have a back-up for when this happens again.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Unfortunately, if there is damage to either the worm gear or pawl, then you'll need to replace them. You can order a replacement worm gear and pawl from Mike's Reel repair. Even upgrade the pawl to a ceramic pawl - these are smoother and will last longer. Heck, order an extra set so you have a back-up for when this happens again.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
A good reason to use a center pin, you dont have to know what a worm gear or pawl is, how to replace it, if a metal or ceramic one is better and you dont need to know how to disassemble and reassemble it if a couple of grains of sand get stuck in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts