BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time for our annual trip to Heffley Lake. We left early on May 30 (Wed) and was fishing by 2:00 PM. In short, the fishing was hot - in addition to the weather. Thank goodness for 45 spf sunscreen! Using the sinking line chironomid technique in our favorite hole, it was practically a "fish a cast" for the entire three days we fished Heffley. Trollers were also doing quite well - so it was nice to see everyone getting into fish. We did spend one day on Little Heffley on the Friday with the float tubes. Little Heffley was not nearly as productive as our usual fly patterns (leeches, careys, spratleys, etc.) failed to produce. Small chironomids ended up being the key here. Being observant also paid off, as I noted a large mayfly hatch. Fish were not taking the emerging adults, but I managed to land a half dozen nice fish on a "flycraft fullback" which served well as a mayfly nymph imitation.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. On our last day (June 4), all we could do is sit back, land that last fish, and begin trip home! Here are a few photos...enjoy!

Releasing a prime Heffley bow

Sinking line chironomid techniques - the result!

A nice bow about to be released

Tubing Little Heffley

Phantom midge larvae - maybe the reason why Little Heffley was not as productive as her big sister?

Small chironomids and mayfly nymphs were the key to Little Heffley on Friday

A small dragonfly nymph and other food items taken from a Heffley bow just prior to release - trollers did quite well with dragonfly nymphs...

Battling a Heffley bow

Tight lines... :thumbup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Gotta love the takes on the sink line chronies :thumbup: Looks like you guys had a good time and caught some fish too ;). I have'nt had much luck fishing mayflys..What method did you use...sink line? My experience has been, the fish dont seem to be interested in the adults but I am sure they key in on the emergers...I have done ok on halfbacks in a mayfly hatch but I just dont have the confidence in them. I hope to change that soon :cheers:

-RC

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey RC - I was using a monocore (clear intermediate) sinking line. I would cast out and let it sink and do a slow troll and pause. Fish were taking on the pause. The flycraft fullback is a variation of the fullback/halfback, but it utilizes partridge for the tail and legs instead of pheasant tail. I've never really tried it before, but pleased I did. As for strikes on the sinking line chronies - HANG ON! :happy:

Hey Robert - anytime you want to come out - let's do it man! For me, the lessons started back in 2001 when we met Ralph Shaw. We were using floating line techniques and getting the odd fish here and there. Ralph and his buddies were anchored off in deeper water and they were into fish after fish. We ran into him at the end of the day and he gave us a free lesson on sinking line techniques. The next day, we went out and on our first cast - double header! Ralph was a really great guy and he has written a chapter in the Gilley and the Essential Guide to Flyfishing BC. He describes the sinking line chironomid technique in the latter book.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.