BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I'm new to the forum, hoping to learn some tips and tricks on catching salmon. I'm an avid angler living in the prairies so my experience has been limited to freshwater species. However, I've been lucky enough to be invited to join a friend and fish the Campbell River area this summer on his boat. He is an experienced angler and is very willing to teach but I just want to learn some more before I go on my trip. I'll be staying out in Campbell River for a week in August and there will likely be days that I won't be on the boat but I can use my own gear for fishing. Any tips on location, what to use, how to fish, etc, would be appreciated! I hope to catch my first chinook and halibut this season!
Tight lines!
Azn

·
Retired Administrator
4,446 Posts
Halibut in Campbell River will be pretty tough to find. For fishing the river, it should be full of pink salmon so you will have some luck for sure. Chinook are caught trolling using downriggers in the Strait. But, you can row the Tyee pool with a guide for really cheap using a rod, single action reel and a plug. No power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses!

How about rockfish in the area? Are they difficult to come by? I hear it's tough to get past all the dogfish, especially with bait.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct. Fair few in the CR area so just letting you know. if your buddy is from CR he will know them.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. He's not from CR, but goes there fairly often, so he'll know. I just want to start researching so I can suggest some good spots for us! He normally targets salmon and I'd like to suggest to try halibut and rockfish. :)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

How about rockfish in the area? Are they difficult to come by? I hear it's tough to get past all the dogfish, especially with bait.
I don't know the area well, but just bear in mind it's one Rockfish and one Ling per day.....two in possession.

He normally targets salmon and I'd like to suggest to try halibut and rockfish. :)
Truth be told.....if you're fishing down deeper in the area you're almost better to hope for them as bycatch while trolling. Sitting and jigging for a halibut in that area could make for a long, long day of jigging. ;) Given the proximity to C-River, I would bet it's not an overly prolific area for rocks/lings unless you are running a little ways away....I would guess areas like the hump are hit pretty hard.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the tips!
One thing to bear in mind as well....with rockfish, depending on the depth you are bringing them up from you don't want to be 'catch and release' fishing them for hours. Depth dependent they may not survive their descent down to where you caught them. Best to bonk and move along.

Although they are tasty....when you can only catch one per day, fighting salmon is WAY more fun than a couple of pound rockfish. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing to bear in mind as well....with rockfish, depending on the depth you are bringing them up from you don't want to be 'catch and release' fishing them for hours. Depth dependent they may not survive their descent down to where you caught them. Best to bonk and move along.

Although they are tasty....when you can only catch one per day, fighting salmon is WAY more fun than a couple of pound rockfish. ;)
Good reminder on the depth and catch limit! Being that there's a few anglers on the boat, I'm sure it'll be ok to shed a few hours on this trip for rockfish. Like you said, it's tasty! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts