BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am not only a new member, but also a new fisherman. I got a rod for my birthday a couple of weeks ago after I mentioned to my gf that I would like to try fishing more (I've been about 10 times in the past over the years with friends, but I never catch anything but sticks).

My rod is pretty basic as is my tackle box. I am also interested in hiking to fish especially to remote locations (2-3 hour hikes). So far I have just been fishing for rainbows in local lakes. Once I get a tent I will probably do some overnite hikes and try to catch my dinner.

Went to rice lake last Saturday and caught nothing. Lost a bobber and a hook, lol.

Went to Buntzen lake on Sunday and hiked up the west side to a nice little spot. I caught 3 tiny rainbows (about 5 inches). I suspect I may have caught the same fish all 3 times. It was always in the exact same spot.

I've been fishing with a number 4 barbless hook ( I misread the fishing regulations and thought you had to have barbless), a simple old school plastic red and white bobber, some weight and cocktail shrimp. Suggestions for new methods appreciated. I also have some spoons and (I think) a plug which I haven't used yet. I went to get some other stuff from walmart, but it was a bit overwhelming and didn't really know what to buy.

I'm going to stick with fishing from shore at the lakes for now. I'm not really into line up 15 across, I prefer to stand on my own or with a couple of buddies away from the traffic. I get enough traffic during the week.

Anyone know of any good hike in lakes where the trout are biting ? Preferably only accessible by foot. I will probably venture out further as I get my system down. I live in Burnababy.

Also, I saw a collabsible fishing rod at walmart. It was only $12. Light and would be nice for hiking especially in the winter when I have my ski gear with me. Has anyone used one of these ?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
What part of the LM are you located in? I would recommend you go to your nearest tackle shop (not Wal-mart or Canadian Tire) and let them know
1) you are a complete new comer to the sport
2) what you would like to do
3) where you would like to do it.
Be prepared to spend a good bit of time picking their brains and be prepared to spend some (not necessarily a lot) money on recommended gear. Although the shops want to make a sale, they also want you to come back again, so they will try to accommodate you and satisfy your needs. Knowing where you are located will help others here to steer you to their favorite shops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Burnaby. I did a quick google for shops in Burnaby and didn't come up with much. I have been to Pacific Angler in Vancouver to go buy my license (which didn't work since they are out of applications, had to buy online). The guy working seemed helpful enought, but he was busy with another customer (who looked like he was dropping some cash), so I didn't bug him too much.

If you know of any good stores in Burnaby let me know otherwise I will try Pacific Angler again after the weekend. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Giuseppe said:
Welcome to this forum darylect. there are so many informationa and helpful posts here. you just need time to read a bit.
Heh, I've been lurking for a few days actually, trying to figure some stuff out. Lots of stuff is over my head. So far I have learned

- Bottom Bouncers are the scum of the earth and that Flossers are the scum that grows inside the boots of the scum of the earth. What exactly bottom bouncing and flossing are took about 2 hours to figure out coz noone actually says, but I think I have the hang of it now.
- everyone seems to be going fishing in the rivers for salmon
- Fish like Kool aid

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Try Sea-Run on Austin in Coquitlam near Marmont, or Riverside on Shaughnessy just south of Lougheed, in Port Coquilam. Both stores have very knowledgeable and very helpful staff. Nothing wrong with Pacific Angler either. The big difference between these shops and Can Tire, etc. is that the staff are all anglers at the tackle shops and are all willing to share more than just a sales pitch.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sea-Run on Austin in Coquitlam is the place where I usually go. They will help you a lot if you are not shy to ask questions. Tell them that you just started and what you want to do. They will put you on the right path. Suggestion: when I want to spend time with them I usually go there when I am quite sure there are no tons of people. Any time weekdays after lunch is fine, I just avoid going there a rainy saturday or sunday (mid morning and mid afternnon).

Giuseppe

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
darylect said:
Giuseppe said:
Welcome to this forum darylect. there are so many informationa and helpful posts here. you just need time to read a bit.
Heh, I've been lurking for a few days actually, trying to figure some stuff out. Lots of stuff is over my head. So far I have learned

- Bottom Bouncers are the scum of the earth and that Flossers are the scum that grows inside the boots of the scum of the earth. What exactly bottom bouncing and flossing are took about 2 hours to figure out coz noone actually says, but I think I have the hang of it now.
- Fish like Kool aid
Bahahaha! No offence darylect but that has got to be one of the funniest posts Ive read in the last few days. Welcome to the site, ask the questions and the answers will slowly trickle in.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
About a month ago. Haven't checked since. I just tried their phone number now and got an out of service message. I used to go there often when I lived in Burnaby. My wife bought my first fly outfit there, but it really wasn't a shop that had much in it of the fly angler. Pretty weird little shop with all the model kits on that one wall. :happy:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
About 3 weeks ago Bob's had a sigh in the window saying "reopening soon under new management". I was by last week and their is no signs in the windows at all now. Too bad, I like going in and have coffee with Bob, he was always good to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts

- Fish like Kool aid
OH MY GOODNESS LMAO! Being new to this forum too, i totally feel the same way! funny funny stuff.

Welcome from another "newbie"

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Steve-O said:
darylect said:
I've been fishing with a number 4 barbless hook ( I misread the fishing regulations and thought you had to have barbless)

You DO have to be barbless, so if any of your lures are barbed make sure you pinch the barb with some needlenose pliers.
Neither Rice nor Buntzen Lake require barbless hooks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.