BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just introduced my son to "Fly chucking" and would like to do the same. The problem is that I am a Rt arm amputee and would have problems with the following: Stripping and maintaining tight line on the retrieve with the 1:1 ratio.
I do wear a prosthesis and use it to reel in, with some modifications to the reel handles. Made easier by the high speed gearing available on Level winds and Spinning reels.

So does any one have any ideas out there?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey ntaggart

Just wondering if you have looked into an automatic reel I know that Martin and Pflueger both make one but I understand from several reviews that the Martin seems to be the preferred reel of this style.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.martinfishing.com/catalog/AUTO_reels.html

Centerpin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I cannot hold the rod with my prosthesis as it is an above elbow amputation and don't have the mobility.
Centerpin, thanks for the link I will certainly look into the automatic reels.

The other option I have thought of is using a 7 wt 9' Fly rod with a light spinning reel. Using a bobber and weighted fly. Might not go down too well with the "diehards" of fly fishing ethics though.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hi Ntaggart:

While the setup that you mention might not be flyfishing, the most important thing would be accomplished...and that is you spending some time with your son chasing fish. If it works, give it a go. If you are looking for a multiplying fly reel, the only ones I can think of are some of the Hardy variety (look in ebay, there's a Princess multiplier there right now), and some reels from Bill Ballan (Cascapedia look-alikes).

I hope you find something that works. Good luck. :beerchug:

Stone

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey nTaggart

There is a fellow who works for DFO as a community advisor (South Fraser Region of the LML), his name is Joe K. He is also an ampute and is a fantastic fly chucker. I know this does not help you in your search for gear but he might be a guy to look for some insperation or advice. I can PM you his contact info if you would be interested.

He is a top notch rod throwing both spey and single handers very well, also a good guy.

Good luck finding the gear you need!

Pat

·
Registered
455 Posts
Pat AV said:
Hey nTaggart

There is a fellow who works for DFO as a community advisor (South Fraser Region of the LML), his name is Joe K. He is also an ampute and is a fantastic fly chucker. I know this does not help you in your search for gear but he might be a guy to look for some insperation or advice. I can PM you his contact info if you would be interested.

He is a top notch rod throwing both spey and single handers very well, also a good guy.

Good luck finding the gear you need!

Pat
[/quote
Hey Pat you have had dealings with Joe Kambights ( spelling not correct ) I have had him as a guset speaker at our rod & gun club. He was spectactular. The first thing he said to me was " Do you wonder how I lost my arm" and of course morbid courisosity was " How" and his reply was " I wore it off fishing" lol :happy:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Will do Nigel, when I get back to work I have it at the office.

Yes Salmonator I deal with Joe quite a bit as a stewardship voluteer and at work as well. I could go into many stories about Joe but this is not the time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Pat AV said:
Will do Nigel, when I get back to work I have it at the office.

Yes Salmonator I deal with Joe quite a bit as a stewardship voluteer and at work as well. I could go into many stories about Joe but this is not the time.
I tell you Pat and all others if you get a chance to meet Joe it is a deffinate pleasure. One of the true sportsman that never gets mentioned. :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.