BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On News Hour Final they had a peice about get herring to spawn on piling in Howe Sound. I geuss they would try to spawn on them but the creasode (sp) killed the eggs. Well, some local conservaton group tried wrapping the pilings in other materials and found garden mats allowed the eggs to hatch. From what I gather this is new and they aren't 100% on how well it will work, but if it does WOW! In time the whole port could have its pilings wrapped in it and bring back much of the spawning habitat kelp provided. Who knows maybe it could be manditory for any new pilings to have this on it. I hope it works... of course if it does the right to harvisting the egg will be the next big problem.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
770 Posts
I saw that clip too.

DFO should just transplant in some kelp.

Better yet, the industry should have to now make allowances for things such as Creosote etc...

That guy was right, the way it used to be was awesome..there used to be fish everywhere...of all types and sizes!

My dad used to fish that area in the 50's and 60's..used to be that if you didn't have a 50+ and you were in a derby..you probably weren't going to be in the money.

My dad loves to tell a story about almost boating a mid fifties, and losing the fish at the boat--- the story of using a Peetz Reel (with true single action none of this cheater one way drag stuff) and a 9 foot Glass Rod with 20 lb test. the 45 minute fight was up near Anvil Island where the fish quite literally towed the boat. There was another boat fishing the area, and 10 minutes after he lost the fish, they got one on, and he watched them boat a 56 lber in 10 minutes----quite possibly the same fish.

Ah...days gone by...and that's the way it was...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure transplanting kelp would help without some sea otters to eat all the urchins, either that or commercailly fish them out. I know many places around the Fat Tops were kelp did grow but is now cut off at the bottom by urchins before it get to ten feet.
Funny, you should mention the good old days... I just moved and found some old book on fishing one called How To Catch Really Big Fish. It from 1971 writen by an 11 year old girl and has glib passages like, 'not another thirty pounder.'
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
So it's the urchins that destroyed the kelp in Howe Sound? I've been trying to find out why it's gone from Howe Sound (and a lot of the Sunshine Coast). I read one theory was that wood preservative from all the pressure treated wood was killing the kelp. Especially in areas that get hit by the Fraser River plume. Howe Sound would be hit with the Squamish plume, but also from the pulp mill effluent from Port Melon and Wood Fibre.

Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts