BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for hours trying to find some info on the fish that gets caught on the docks of ambleside and belcarra. I can't find pics of it either. It's got a bighead, no scales, ratfish like tail and it's ugly. One thing i know, it's not a ratfish or a dogfish. Can someone tell me what this fish could be? I've caught them tonnes of times and want to know if they're edible....

·
Registered
477 Posts
....dunno...I wouldn't!

You can eat bullheads, depending on where they are caught. They are a ground fish and I assume they don't migrate much...therefore, they are susceptible to contamination from toxins such as: chemicals, minerals, gasoline/oil, etc... If caught near a gas dock or marina, I would definitely say NO!

I've seen live bullheads for sale at T&T Supermarket...so...???

I'm not gonna eat one anytime soon. LOL!

Cheers!

-Nathan in NW

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ling cod are sculpin family and one of my favorite fish to eat. The small shallow water sculpins, not so much. lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
They provide great sport on the fly rod :D

He was 4 inches long, the fly was 2 inches long lol. Thought it was a rock at first....

·
Registered
270 Posts
what is it

Yes the all mighty bullhead, sea run bullheads can get quite large, and they love roe. The professor and the wife caught some monsters sturgeon fishing even the small ones can be quite greedy, this bullhead wasn’t even big enough to swallow the bait, the roe bag got caught on the tiny sharp teeth.
As for eating one, well I lost a bet one day on a fishing trip and so I had to eat one. You got to pay up when you loose .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I searched for hours trying to find some info on the fish that gets caught on the docks of ambleside and belcarra. I can't find pics of it either. It's got a bighead, no scales, ratfish like tail and it's ugly. One thing i know, it's not a ratfish or a dogfish. Can someone tell me what this fish could be? I've caught them tonnes of times and want to know if they're edible....
It's a bullhead and I've eaten only 1 in my life. Caught from the Ambleside dock and it was big so I thought I would give it a try. Lots of small bones and tastes like mud. Also very slimy
In the past years I have fished that place many times and caught a variety of different fish like,

Sand Sharks or Dogfish
Bullheads
Perch
Many Flounders and lemon sole

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you serious? If so, I would love to try sometime. Any specific area/rig/bait to use?
Hi Kent,
this is how i set up for catching mudsharks
main line + slider with 6 oz weight + swivel + metal leader (important) + a big hook
bait, i use bullhead tail.

cast out, then wait :thumbup:

cheers

Vic

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi guys I,m a noob and have one question

Does anyone know if cabezon roe is really poisoness. We filleted about eight of them this summer and now I am a little worried that the meat could be tainted. They were caught in a very clean area and went into the freezer in vacuum packs right away. The meat looks great but someone told us that they could be bad for us.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anyone know if cabezon roe is really poisoness. We filleted about eight of them this summer and now I am a little worried that the meat could be tainted. They were caught in a very clean area and went into the freezer in vacuum packs right away. The meat looks great but someone told us that they could be bad for us.

As i know cabezon( bullhead) roe is really poisonous ,
meat is bluish, but turns white after the cooking and that's normal.
Good mild taste.
B.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts