BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family and I will be going to Hicks Lake for the very first time during the May long weekend. We have never gone up there before. Anyone have any tips on good RV/camping spots up there close to shore or other helpfull tips?
We will be staying for 3 days and fly fishing most of the time.
thanks

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I fished it a bit as a kid...must've been all of 10 years old at the most at the time. the camping/rving close to shore will be a crap shoot for ya. The campground is provincial if I recall correctly, so best get up there real early if you want a spot at all, let alone one near the water...you might even check to see if reservations are possible...I recall some years it was tough to get a spot in there...

As for fishing, average sized fish, with the odd larger one mixed in. I used to take the boat to the far side of the lake near the long stretch of beach there. There is a deeper section along the west side of the lake, and a shallower almost shoal like stretch of lake on the east side. There were extensive weed beds along that east side and I recall doing quite well there on the fly.

It's a nice little lake, and a great place to take the kids...might even get a lunker or two. I think the record fish for that lake was double digits...keep in mind though that was like in the 1920's or something... ;) Now mostly what you'll find are cookie cutters in the 10-12 inch range...

Remember...really busy up there on long weekends, have some other options in mind if you find you can't find a spot to camp...There are a lot of lakes in the area...some accessible with your RV...

hope that helps,

rib

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have fished this lake a bit in the 90's and have had quite a bit of luck around the island. Lot's of catchables but nothing really large. The best day was when I found a cooler with 2 dozen beer ice cold on the far side. The camp site was really well maintained and on the long weekends it filled up really fast. :cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
My son caught his first fish there when he was six. They had just finished the fish ladder on the out flow. Back then there were a good number of fish in the beaver pond just down from the picnic site parking lot. I'd paddle loops with the canoe while the young kids would troll. Very good times. My son is 30 now. I believe there may still also be campsites at the nearby Deer Lake as well. Have a good time.

DSD.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good to me. We're heading out the next weekend following the long weekend due to full reservations at the lake. No big deal, it'll just mean less crowds I hope.
Thanks for the info, but has any one been up there lately?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I was up there last year with my g/f's family but sadly there was no boat so couldnt do any fishing. its stocked with Cutties and recieved 3500 yearlings already this year :thumbup: anytime i have ever been up there i never see anyone fishing so i would imagine there is good fishing to be had. remember to take fry patterns with you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.