BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love it when a plan comes together. Royal Coachman, and myself made a quick stop at Timmy's and another to top up the gas tank, and by 6am we were on our way to the high country to hit a lake niether of us had visitied before. This trip would take us slightly further than I usually go for day trips, but the opportunity to chase larger than average rainbows could not be ignored. Call me jaded but I'd rather catch two lunkers over ten smaller fish anyday. :happy: Before we knew it our fishing bannter filled drive had come to an end, and we had arrived at our destination. To my surprise there was only one other person visible on the water on our arrival, and after a quick scan of the lake, we began to unpack and set up for our day. A cool morning breeze filled the air but it was to be short lived, as the temps on this day would top out in the high 30's with out a single cloud in the sky, and very little breeze. The water was like a sheet of glass for most of the day. Also in the air was that famous algea smell that a lot of high country still waters get right before and durring the summer duldrums. It won't be long until a full bloom will be in effect and a green blanket will cover the water's surface.. As we were completing our set up, that lone body out the the water kicked in and introduced himself to us. Trout Chaser knew of our plans, a head of time and decided to drive over from a previous stop to join us for the day. Through out our day a non stop continueous damsel, and dragon hatch took place. Add in a big mayfly hatch, small speratic chironmid hatches, a 70 degree surface temp, and almost unbareable heat, and we had one hot menu. Despite the many breaks to re lather the sun screen, and to keep hydrated, we all managed to do battle with some prime healthy fat bows. Winning some, and loosing a few too. We had too work for our results, but the action, was just enough to keep our minds off the heat. Well almost. :p :p These guys put our gear to the ultimate test. Fittingly, various dragon and damsel patterns stripped and retrieved seemed to be the only way to get interest. I don't think I've ever been so tired durring a drive home. That heat can just suck the life out of you. However it was more than worth it, and I now have a new stop on my spring tour. Thanks boys, this was deffinitely a killer trip. Let's do it again soon! Here's a few highlights.

Items on the menu.

It didn't take Coachman long to get his first of the day.

Troutchaser with a beauty!

The battles on!

....and a safe release

We had the lake all to our selves for a good portion of the day.

Picture perfect

Headed straight for the bottom.

A happy camper

Got'em!

What's left of the go to flys.

Until next time! :beerchug: :beerchug:

Finder ;D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for doing the write-up FF. Some of the coolest pics I've seen. It was real cool to spend the day fishing with you two and I can't wait til next time. It was a sleepy drive home for sure That cold mountain air felt good though after the scorcher we endured. I love that we all got our rods bent by some pretty nice fish for such a tough day. Every bug in BC hatching in the lake and the trout are feeding on freaking daphnia. Unbelievable. Til next time boys. :beerchug:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Right on boys, was a day to remember for sure :thumbup:

I cant beleive how freaking fat some of those fish were 8) Pic doesnt do it justice :'(.

Was great fishing with you guys, cant wait to do it again soon :beerchug:

-RC

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wow, that's a pig... Too bad we weren't by you when you hooked that one... might have been the fish of the day, except for those ones still swimming around with dragonfly nymphs hanging out of there mouth. PM me RC if you're heading up this weekend, I'm already trying to decide where to go and for how long.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Great report guys, and nice looking fish. Glad to see you guys got into some quality trout. :thumbup: What type of trout are those, Triploids, Penask strain ? do you guys have any idea ?

Whatever strain they are, they're certainly nice fish. :cheers:

Tight Lines, Nates

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey nates,

They are triploid blackwaters, so their tendency is to run toward the bottom as opposed to the pennasks which come straight out of the water. If you wanna see a nice bright pennask check out my Pass Lake report below. The blackwaters however will strike ridiculously hard sometimes, so break-offs are not un-common. Shoot me a PM if you're thinking of doing any stillwater fishing this spring, I've been going up alot and will be going until mid July. Gotta fish as many lakes as I can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well done lads :thumbup: Look's like some nice fish had by all :happy:

Great report FF

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Hey Finder,

Thanks for sharing all the details of your great day, except the location. ;) Any hints?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Sweet report, awesome pics, my first trip of the season is coming up...should be awesome! :happy:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Very nice report! The little green bead headed scud was one of my go to flys lastweek! Nice fish as well! :thumbup:

C.K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts