BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Hihium Lk last weekend. Weather was pretty rainy & cold, so wasn't a walk in the park. Fishing was a little slower then I am guessing is average, judging by how good the water looks there. Managed a bunch of smaller trout, and one around 2lb on the dryfly. Just a ton of trout food to be had in that lake, so it's easy to see how they can grow so big so quickly. There was a hatch going on that for the life of my I couldn't match, but there were certainly some good fish rolling around. Overall a good trip, apart from it being freezing cold and raining in mid june.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is this Hihume lake or hathume lake.....hihume being way ( like waaayyy up) up behind loon lake past cache creek or hathume which is off of the 97c (bear main or sunset main pending wether you come from the 97c or the old merritt-kamloops highway. I love Hihume lake but I tend to wait until the end of june beginning of july at the earliest to hit that lake. I have had snow in july up there and not just an inch or two either.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cascademarine said:
Is this Hihume lake or hathume lake.....hihume being way ( like waaayyy up) up behind loon lake past cache creek or hathume which is off of the 97c (bear main or sunset main pending wether you come from the 97c or the old merritt-kamloops highway. I love Hihume lake but I tend to wait until the end of june beginning of july at the earliest to hit that lake. I have had snow in july up there and not just an inch or two either.
You read correctly; Hihium (pronounced Hihume). It's a bit of a trek but a beautiful lake. I think i'll try it out again in july when it's not so damn cold & raining ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
she's funny like that goes from 36 degrees to 6 in an hour but mid july offers some of the best dry fly sedge fishing I have ever had! The hatches are not as big or as often anymore but if you get a couple days of good weather you can count on one especially at the one end where ski high lodge is across from the circle k launch that whole bay is 5' to 12' full of weeds but great fun! Just a tip but go a little heavier on the leader due to the weeds :thumbup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hihium. The one just up from Cache Creek.

How was the wind? Everytime I've been there, the wind's been trying out it's hurricane impression. (ok, maybe not that bad, but whitecaps all day, everyday) 'Course, every time I've gone up there, I've caught fish over 16-17 inches.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have always hit fish with good size to them 2lbs average but a good number in the 3 to 4 lbs range too. I even have a rod in the there just in case anyone tags onto a loomis 5wt rod with a dragonfly reel in there that's mine! ;D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steelheadstalker said:
Hihium. The one just up from Cache Creek.

How was the wind? Everytime I've been there, the wind's been trying out it's hurricane impression. (ok, maybe not that bad, but whitecaps all day, everyday) 'Course, every time I've gone up there, I've caught fish over 16-17 inches.
yeah the wind was pretty stiff & the rain was coming in sideways. Good thing i came prepared wearing my extra-waterproof BC lions hoody :p ::)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was at the lake on Fri July 13th for a few hrs. Wind came up so I tried a few bays out of the wind. I saw fish rising so I tried a Tom Thumb. They started bumping my fly and then come back for the take. I landed a couple of small ones but I let them go. It was my first experience with a dry fly. What a rush!! I guess I'm hooked for sure now. BCKID :beerchug: :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.