BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have only been fishing in B.C. for 5-6 years and still learning the fishing, customs, rules, etc. I am not making the trip this year but have family and friends that will be there within weeks. Historically, how long do these closures last or is this a first, never heard of one in our several years there. My group that wll be there has never fished B.C. previously and I really want them to get into the Pinks and a Spring or two would be a bonus.

Around Abbordsford/Chilliwack what rivers are your options for pinks last week of August/first week of September ? As always, thanks for your continued help and education on your country. Salt.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well Texas as someone that has been fishing for over 20yrs and mostly in the fraser I believe this is the first time they have closed fishing HOWEVER they have closed certain things like not being able to keep adult(over50cm) chinook (i remember seeing a guy that kept 2get his camper taken away from DFO) then when i was about 15 they closed sturgeon and made it catch and release only

just like a also dont remember ANYONE BBing for fish at all back then think its only been going on for a few years. why everyone feels the need to do it when asked not to, I dont know

HOOK

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hook
the Fraser has had many "closed to salmon" fishing bans like this one for the last 10+ years. It usually started in the begining of September and lasted until October 10 or so. Ever since the first all salmon fishing closure back around 1996 due to low returns of Thompson coho. You can still go on the river and fish for trout, steelhead and sturgeon. The highlight to this salmon fishing closure is the fact that the tidal portion of the river from the Mission bridge down stream remains open to fishing for all salmon except sockeye's. DFO in the past has closed the whole thing right down to Steveston. Pink salmon action will start to really heat up in the next 5-10 days. I was checking my notes and back in 2005 the pinks started showing in pretty good numbers along river road in Delta on August 24th. So any day now it could turn on. Just be ready.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ok thanks RLN as i said i didnt know it all as i was a kid back then seeing as im only 28 now but still been fishing since i could hold a rod ;D and landed my first salmon barfing when i was 4yrs old :thumbup: :thumbup:

HOOK

cant wait for pinks to be in the more "local" waters rather than driving to Squamish all the time ha ha ha

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey 'Salt.....No need to worry if your friends are going out with guides....There will be lots of fish in the Vedder, Stave, Pitt, and Harrison and the sturgeon fishing should be in full swing and on fire as soon as the pinks arrive....Your friends will catch lots of fish......no worries....the guides have lots of places to go besides the Fraser....Besides, the closure is likely temporary and they may re-open in a week or so...........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you for sharing your information. I want to tell my group that the Fraser is closed but not to be worried plenty of other rivers to fish and Fraser may even reopen.

As a note, I think it was week of Sept. 1 of 05, that we had a blast with the pinks on the Fraser above Chilliwack. Man I am going to miss not being there. Good fishing to all of you and thanks again. Salt.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hook, decided not to make the trip this year, too much personal stuff going on(retired, moving to country, building a house, etc. and minor surgery on my hand). Lord willing, I will return to B. C.

I have fished many places including, Alaska, Mexico and many states in the U.S., salt water and fresh water, and have to say without reservation, B.C. is my first choice. Thanks. Salt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.