BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great job on the new spoons. I was in the garage yesterday rigging the spoons you sent. You are becoming a real pro at developing some great color combinations for your spoons. You have given me inspiration to experiment with other types of lures I use. I can't wait to see some photos of the big ones caught on your spoons.
Thanks buddy

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Mike, Love to see how good you are getting at painting all the new spoons. Hope everyone is getting back to you and giving you a heads up on how they are working. Would like to know what they are putting on the back end of their various sized spoons. Here are some of the ways I have rigged your spoons. Will try them all this summer when I get out on the water. Love you spoons and the spoon on # 93 are my favorite look so far.
Again a special thanks for your dedication to your passion.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have become a big fan of using mini hootchies on the back of my spoons. I have a feeling that the added action may well trigger the chinook to strike. I had great success with the kingfisher lite 3 1/2" spoons by adding a 1 1/2" mini squid hootchie along with a Gami 510 (0/1) hook. Short leader (30-32") seemed to work best as it probably gave a better whip action to the spoon.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Mike, Glad to see that you are getting into the glow paints. I was wondering if a brighter glow is as effective as a subdued glow??? When I give my spoons a charge they are very bright (some better than others) but I am not sure if I have caught many more fish when they have that strong charge. Any feedback on what others think on this concept??? Which spoons have anglers found to hold a charge the longest which may be of greater importance?!.....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mike, you are getting so good that your next adventure will be entering one of those cake decorating contests (and winning). With every passing week you are getting better and better at your new passion. Some great color combinations and designs. Keep up the fantastic work you are doing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That looks great and the colors seem to match quite well. I think that design would work great on a thinner spoon in the 3 1/2 - 4" range. I could see it working in the water with a tailwalker behind it to mimic the pilchards tail. There must be some artist blood somewhere in you as your spoons are more a piece of art compared to production designs. Keep those pics coming.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great looks and your fit and finish is excellent. I am more a green color guy, but have never tried the "Wonder Spot" colored spoons yet. As several guys have said they are ugly, but they sure catch fish. Keep up the good work Mike.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Mike, I like your new template and can't wait to see what you come up with. I think your pilchard spoons will show big dividends this summer. Keep those photo's coming. I am waiting t see some of the fish that are being caught on your pieces of art.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Many thanks Mike. Can't wait to see your new work. Would be interested to know what size have proven effective during the winter months and what anglers think will work for the spring, summer??? Here in Wa. I think anglers lean more toward the smaller spoons and was wondering if it is the same up North?? Still learning how to best use spoons to produce the best results. Last year was the first year I experimented with spoons and did have some excellent success using the smaller (3 1/2") Kingfisher spoon rigged with a 1 1/4" hootchie tail with a 28" leader behind a 11" flasher for Chinook. Will try your spoons with and without flashers and see what works best. Hope to see some tech. help from those using your spoons.

·
Registered
315 Posts
BFM, Your transition color grading is really getting to be first class. I think that will pay big dividends on the water. It's great to see that you have not got stuck on a particular color scheme and I am sure that some of your spoons will prove extremely productive.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mike, I just wanted to let you know that the spoons are awesome. I have rigged the small green pilchard spoon with a 1 1/2 green spatter back hootchie and it looks like a winner. Will send a photo soon. Looking forward to seeing your paint work on the new Drone spoons.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Next move?.. Big Mike's Lure Factory opening in a town near you soon !!!! I know that feeling of the heater trying to warm you in the garage while working on your gear. Hope the move makes things easier for you in producing your works of art.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mike, the thing that I like the most about your spoons is that they are so personal. Each one can have a drawing a effect on the fisherman and hopefully those tyee that we would all like to catch. I am sure that we all have our favorites and all for various reasons. I do beleave that what sets one spoon shine over the other is that little Extra thing that triggers that strike impulse; like a specific color flash, movement, teaser, speed, Size, leader length, flasher, etc. It won't be long before we start to get reports on what spoons prove favorites for the many fisherman who were fortunate enough to get their collectors items from BFM. I forgot to ask if you have any spoons out to the Great Lakes?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Matt what size spoons were you using? Your info is good news and you can see that spoon has had some good action. Have you been using flashers or running them on there own. I am going to try running the smaller spoons from 4-6 feet behind a green flasher and the larger 6" spoons on their own. I will also try adding a mini squid hootchie on some of the spoons as well. on some spoons I have added a swivel to the backside. Hope to find that winning combination in a few weeks up in Port Hardy. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mike, That is the same spoon that worked for me when everything else failed. The black and green was the ticket to a lot of action. I was amazed at how many smaller shakers could not resist the 4 1/2" spoon even with the 0/6 hook. Did catch my largest 25 lb. chinook on the spoon as well. I had the best success using a 4 ft. leader behind a green/glow flasher. I would have taken a picture, but my camera was not working.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.