BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Been doing the same for a considerably long time. Plugs and spoons. Will again be running a large run of plugs this winter (~ 250 or so) once the hunting season is wrapped up. Chiefly pilchards.

I'd be interested in seeing the pilchard pattern for the spoons you produce. :cheers:

I'll load up a pix or two of the plug pattern once I get rolling on them...

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Q--Do you just paint and go? Or do you clear-coat 'em?
Always Clear Coat! makes the paint last a LOT longer! ;)
Especially when you have a Winner Pattern! The teeth marks will shorty overpower the paint if you don't.
Did Ma 'Noggin get her elk? Moose? :cheers:
Antelope. Yes, Boone & Crockett actually!

Looking forward to seeing your spoons!

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
This one looks to me to be a WINNER Mike! :thumbup:

Some "accidents" are simply meant to happen!

I would try that with a glow belly where the white is. Suspect it will knock their socks off down deep! ;)

Keep up the Great Work!

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
P.S. and that's what we (people) see. Fish see ...?
Rather good point Scissors. Always believed that as our eyes evolved to see above water, and the fish's evolved below, there simply has to be differences in the way we each perceive varying light waves. For us, red disappears damn quick as you dive deeper. For them, that certainly doesn't appear to be the case. Why else would red gear quite often be The ONLY thing that will interest sockeye when down deep? If, as with our perception, the red fades to black down below, wouldn't a black/grey hootchie work just as well? Many MANY other cases reflect this same pattern - colors that are not visible to us down there certainly appear to be visible to them. All in the perception methinks, and I very much do believe that fish perceive light waves and patterns a tad different than we do.

Fun as hell to experiment! Beats the hell out of most other winter household chores..
Thanks for the kind words Mike! The majority of fishing products out there are designed to catch our eye, the fish... well... maybe....

I do like the new effect you've created as I noted in our Email chats. Methinks once perfected, that green / white (or glow) with the splatterback design is going to ROCK!! May well be something to the Stoned Cop Car too! ;)

In the next couple of weeks I'll be getting to the plug run. Too sore just yet, but planning well underway.
If I can't get out to chase down steel, you're absolutely correct! Beats the hell out of being bored or attacking the Dreaded Honey-Do list!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Adding in my THANKS here as well!
Spoons showed up yesterday Mike, and they look Tremendous! :thumbup:

I will certainly be giving them a swim when we get back to the WCVI commercial troll this spring. Already know they are going to SMASH them out there! Will report back, and hope to include a few pix...

Your generosity is awesome Buddy! VERY Cool what you are doing for the Fine Folks here!

Work on my needlefish spoon prototype continues. We'll be swimming the first version to test for action later this month, then on with the final tweakings. I'll fire off a couple to you once I am satisfied with their performance. Methinks you will Like!

Looking Right Forward to testing the ones you sent!!

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My "spray booth" LOL!!!!

Soon to be replaced by an 10' x 10' Shed.
COOL Mike! I am now working on one of the same, coincidentally the same size. Heating secured, lighting being worked on, exhaust fan on the way, just need a little finishing, and it will soon be ready for the show! GOT to get on with it! Only so many days before I hit the Big Pond again, and with 300+ plugs and a good handful of spoons to finish, it is going to eat up a lot of that time!

As for far enough away, I'm building mine on a Buddy's acreage, quite a few miles from The Hacienda! LOL!

Great Work Buddy! Hope to be sharing some of mine in the not-too-distant future...

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Have you thought about trying a stencil of some sort to get a scale patten on them.
Always get a few wondering looks when I wander into the Sewing store requesting some Bridal Veil and Fishnet Stocking material!! LOL! I simply inform them that "She" want's to wear the sexy black stockings under the white dress! Almost always gets a a look of shock and wonder! ;)

Choose these carefully, and you have an excellent "stencil" for both scale backs, and scale patterns in general.

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Nog...no running to Victoria's Secret for me

But... I happen to LIKE wandering around in that particular store!!!

but I like where this is going!!
And I do believe you'd found yet another WINNER!!

Already those look GREAT! Softening just a little will likely increase their Kill Capacity methinks, but you are WELL on the way!

VERY Cool to watch the evolution in progress Buddy!! Methinks you can give most of the "developers" a REEL Run For The Money!!

Keep up the Great Work!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
But where it lacks babes and their accoutrements, I DO serve beers and drinks for free!
LOL! Certainly wish you didn't live so damn far away!! :cheers:

But then, if these are deep in murky water, maybe a little more contrast is better??
I tend to agree that in those conditions, a higher contrast will likely work better. Most success I've had here - water is usually reasonably clean - has been the more subtle patterns. Just sent you an E in that regard...

In any case, this is a helluva lot of fun, and I just hope to see some of these catch fish.
Certainly IS! And these WILL catch methinks! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Man, you've been BUSY Mike!!
Looking Good Buddy!!

Here's a couple of pix I use as a reference for producing Pilchard spoons:

The Real McCoy:

One of several "templates" I use to mimic that:

I'll be getting to these Right Shortly now, and will try to remember to post a picture or two of just how they turn out. This color pattern was my Best Producer when the pilchards were in last season.

REALLY Like the look of the Cop Car Series!! Going to be headed out for the commercial gig in a couple weeks, and would really like to tow a few of those in each size if you have the time Mike! And of course, I WILL post pix of just what they do out there!!

Keep up the Great Work my Friend!! Love seeing the various finishes you're coming up with!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Spoons showed yesterday Mike, and they look GREAT!
Headed offshore in the am, commercial trolling time again. Will be putting some of these to the test and will both letcha know as it goes, and collect a few pix along the way.

Thanks Again Buddy! Very MUCH Appreciated!! :thumbup:

Catch up with you in somewhere between 2 and 6 weeks...

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Awesome looking Work Shop Buddy! You've made me damn JEALOUS!!!

Just back from the briney. One of your spoons really knocked springs, lings and hali's! Lost the memory card in the camera, working on retrieving what I can...
Will take a pix of the beat up spoon at least once I collect another card. Many Thanks for that KILLER!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
... He said that the "Dark Chocolate Mint" , in almost any style...scaled, striped, dotted---were killing some fish there, and also some of the original "Tyee Die".
I have to concur with his assessment Mike. Had some damn FINE Success with one of yours in a similar pattern! Took Springs, Lings and Hali's consistently from Nootka through Cape Cook just recently. Lost my memory card in the camera (Double Dammit! Had some rather fine shots in there!) so unfortunately can't show you exactly what it was catching. But with a new card installed, I can show you how the spoon appears today after all that ravaging!!

Keep up the Good Work my Friend! I'm certain there are more than a few fish shaking in their boots!! ;)

Cheers & THANKS! :thumbup:
Matt

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Matt what size spoons were you using? ... Have you been using flashers or running them on there own.
That was one of the 4 3/4 inch spoons. Ran it solitary (no flasher) in several spots off the troller;
- 3rd piece up with leads of 5 and 8 fathoms above the short flasher / long flasher combo;
- 2nd piece up (very short leader at 1.4 fathoms) between the short and long flasher.
Worked well in both spots!! :thumbup:

Good Luck with your experimenting!!

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Looking FANTASTIC Buddy!
Love the new "primer"! Thanks for sharing on that, methinks I will be incorporating that into my own little project!

Hope you get to wander up this way over the season! My way of saying Thanks usually focuses on a little time out on the Big Pond! ;)
Be nice to finally meet you and share some FUN my Friend! :cheers:

Keep up the GREAT Work! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
WOW!! LOVE the new Workshop Buddy! :thumbup:
In fact I am rather envious!

Very much looks like The Right Way to Go!! Loads of room to operate in.
Are you going to put a Fume Hood or Blower System in to get rid of the vapors?
Toying with doing that to the shed I currently am working on...

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
... what does people do to paint up wooden plugs, and what to people do for hardware on the plugs...
Wood plugs MUST be very well sealed prior to painting to prevent water-logging. Make sure you get a good coat of sealant as a base. Most that paint plugs use an airbrush to do so. The varieties of paint out there are almost endless in choice. Both water based and lacquers work. Give them a good shot of clear-coat to help prevent the fish's teeth from ravaging the finish.

Easiest way to rig a plug is with a through-hole from the center of the dish (nose) through to the belly. Have a look at a few Tomics, and imagine what they would be like with the pins pulled. That's what you're trying to reproduce. Effective, and you don't need to actually attach any hardware to the plug itself. Simply rig a hook, swivel then bead on a leader, run it through the plug up to another swivel, and Good To Go!! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.