BC Fishing Reports banner

1261 - 1280 of 1635 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,261 (Edited)
Fantastic day and a half in Vic. Stayed right on the harbour at the Empress and spent time with family and friends. Made a bunch of new friends...fishermen all...off to Van tonight on a guy's boat...family party was nice...sets the pace for the rest of the trip. Robert, Terry, Raymond, Patrick, Keith, Mikey...strays...see you all soon!

Non-stop chick party at my house-- all week, I suspect.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My wife and I enjoyed a great evening of dinner and drinks last night at the Delta Airport Hotel with Mike, Ortho and Paul. Glad to see Ortho looking strong and healthy and even enjoying a bottle of wine. Mike and Paul shared adventures surrounding their friendship that has lasted since kindergarden in San Fran, very cool.

Thanks Guys for a wonderful evening and Mike we look forward to hearing many stories from your Duncanby trip.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,263 (Edited)
Wow--what a trip. I'll file that in the reports as soon as I catch up here at work, but I made a friend you'll all know---
and now a fan of the "Frantic Hex" and "Cop Car" spoons--- Jim Hughson.

Not a nicer guy alive---It's always a gas to see what a professional--in ANY field---especially a public one--
is like when they are away from the public eye, and in their own element.
The awful jokes and stories never stopped...and neither did the flow of whisky.

Jim and his 2 buddies Bruce and Boyd were in the next cabin and my buddy Paul and I had the pleasure of their company in the evenings as we sat out on our deck and shot the shat till all hours.

Jim.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,265 (Edited)
The "Star Fish" spoons did LOTS of damage--but probably because all 29 guests fished if for at least a while.
Again, they were painted up in honor of 25 year old guide Bryden P. --radio call sign "Star Fish"--who is battling a serious medical condition, and loves his green and white combos.

Green/white/yellow in various combinations were the call---and caught my buddy Paul and myself too many salmon to count

But the REAL killer was the "Frantic".
This is a baked-on plastic color that showed zero scratches--even the one we caught 12-15 coho on before we lost it to a hog.

This is a salmon killer-it never stopped working.

Frantic Dimples DS.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,266 (Edited)
Welcome back Mike. I bet there are a good couple thousand people that are looking forward to a great report... Cant wait to hear about it!
I made a few notes and took LOTS of pics....the whisky/beer, and go-go-go for a week required some documentation for later reference.

Enjoyed the company of Ortho, Hmmmm and the lovely Mrs. Hmmmm on Monday.
They drove out from the Wack for dinner/drinks/stories, and are two of the best people I know.

We then partied at Ortho and the lovely Mrs. Ortho's home on Saturday. The world needs more Orthos.
Great to see Marko and the lovely Mrs. Marko again as well.

One HELLUVA trip.

As soon as I battle through hundreds of emails and phone messages, I'll post a report.
Got a max hali--133 cm--61 lbs that gave me all I wanted---like pulling a piano out of 350' of water...

Edit--Buying another Abel reel. Will be selling an Islander used for 4 days soon.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,267 (Edited)
Looking back on all our fish, and now getting photos/reports from some of the mob, green and/or yellow did the most damage this trip.

A common denominator was that some LOUD RED somewhere on the lures seemed to make them hop a bit more.

I took this standard Tomic (that they made for a Swedish group) that we used last season, and painted the "mouth" a bright blood red.

Zee D 5.JPG

TC1.jpg

·
Registered
513 Posts
Me and KK will be fishing 16 days straight at Winter harbor starting this Saturday.
Will be giving all of your spoons a good soaking.
I am betting that large hammered green spoon will be the ticket and i will try my best to beat the paint off of it.
Looks like the Tuna will be in close as well so we will spend a few days chasing them.
Any Tuna gear in the works??

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,269
Me and KK will be fishing 16 days straight at Winter harbor starting this Saturday.
Will be giving all of your spoons a good soaking.
I am betting that large hammered green spoon will be the ticket and i will try my best to beat the paint off of it.
Looks like the Tuna will be in close as well so we will spend a few days chasing them.
Any Tuna gear in the works??
SJ,

I know nothing about Tuna fishing....I suppose if lures are used I could paint them up, but no...nothing planned.

That hammered or hex yellow does NOT scratch easily. I LOVE that finish.
You should bring some plugs up, too.

Good luck to you and Kev. Wives going again?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good to hear you had a great trip Mike as I suspected you would. Can hardly wait to hear the fishing report. Must have been nice meeting a celebrity who is down to earth and loves fishing. Those spoons look pretty good as well. Cheers for now.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,271
One I DIDN'T bring up on my trip is now killing....Just proves that you have to always bring a huge arsenal along.

2 tyee on it today---can't wait to see pics.

3-6.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,272 (Edited)
Green/Yellow will be my focus--again--this winter.
Way too many hook-ups this year on all kinds of combinations to stop now.

I'm painting up some really cool "Storm" and "Tomic" plugs coming in hot fluorescent
greens and yellows for next season.

YG.jpg

YGa.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,274 (Edited)
Not-so-secret weapon now---This is a 7" Giant Flat Stick plug made by Storm -(an offshoot of Rapala)

It's a bright white, and I added the fluorescent/glow green and yellow, and reversed the colors on the flip side.

The phone cam absolutely mutes just how bright and vivid these colors are. The "pink' spot on the throat
is actually violent red.

I didn't have time to prep these before my Rivers Inlet trip, but got one to a guide there on Monday,
and in one day this has 6 Chinook, 2 of them Tyee.

The bonus here is that this has a loud rattle, or rattles in it.

It shakes back and forth like a Tomic plug on steroids--and dips and dives with that huge lip.

These are expensive--about $12, but I got a sweet break when I bought 10, and I can't wait to fly these.

I'll do a few different radical colors, but until otherwise coerced, this is my go-to.

Storm YG1.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,275 (Edited)
Some GREAT news.

I posted here a photo of the 'Starfish" spoon, in honor of a BC guide named Brydon, who's radio handle is 'Starfish'.

I made up 100 or so and made sure all the guests on our Duncanby Lodge trip had one, as well as all the crew,
so he could, at least in spirit, be with us on the water while he battled cancer and underwent all kinds of treatments.

He and his brother Riley--a.k.a. "Sugar Ray" and dad "Peace Core" take 2-1/2 months away from their regular jobs
doing what they love and do best--find fish.

Well--the battle has been joined, and he has made enough progress to allow a trip this week to the lodge with his family.

I'm happy to say my friend is on the up!!----and his family gets a break from their constant, round-the-clock, months-long vigil back home on the Island. A chance to do what they love, and do it together.

There's Bry between dad and bro, and mom along for the trip.
Looking GOOOOOOOOOD, Starfish!

Starfish and FAmily.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
Green/Yellow will be my focus--again--this winter.
Way too many hook-ups this year on all kinds of combinations to stop now.

I'm painting up some really cool "Storm" and "Tomic" plugs coming in hot fluorescent
greens and yellows for next season.

View attachment 17538

View attachment 17546
Those sure are great looking spoons Mike. What do you call them. The top one with the "pilchard" spots looks like it would be great on the west coast of Vancouver Island. The lower one doesn't look like it would be a slouch either though.

Oly

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,277 (Edited)
Those sure are great looking spoons Mike. What do you call them. The top one with the "pilchard" spots looks like it would be great on the west coast of Vancouver Island. The lower one doesn't look like it would be a slouch either though.

Oly
Dont know yet, Oly. Wifey going on a little winery-ing with her mom soon.
Which usually results in, on MY part, a little less responsibility, and a tad more whisky and having
the boys over more.
That, in turn, promotes creative and whimsical moods, wherein lighthearted,
touching, cutesy, catchy and creative spoon names like "Jaundice", "Snakebite", "Open Wound",
"Gangrene" and "Serial Kriller" are hatched.

DO stay tuned...

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,279 (Edited)
Is that top salmon an atlantic?
You win the prize! Bang on. Great eye! A group of Danes ran into the spoons in Washington.
Nice to have the back and forth with those across the pond.
That green/yellow Tomic 6" Tubby I've posted was designed custom by Tomic for a Swedish group.

Those Nordic people love their salmon and salmon fishing. I dont think they get as large as ours though.

Also..that's a metric spoon...13 cm.if I remember.

1261 - 1280 of 1635 Posts