BC Fishing Reports banner
1561 - 1580 of 1638 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,562 ·
Pip..thank you for the photo and hot tip. I have used blue a lot, but usually with a green or yellow.
This spoon ( and the fish) look great.

This weekend--L O N G weekend-- I'll do a bunch of half blue/half chrome--using all kinds of textured blanks-
hammered, hex, prism, etc.

Scotty--look for yours in the mail in a week or so.

Fish Fish Fishing Recreation Bass

·
Registered
315 Posts
"Holly Molley" got my package in the mail today and I don't know if I should frame the spoons and put them up on my wall or fish with them?????
You better believe they are hitting the water in 3weeks when I arrive in Port Hardy. Mike they are the best you have made thus far. You were right on when you said the holographic spoons were special. I must admit they are very different from all your previous paintings. The spoon that I am going to use first is the upside/down small spoon. It's painted blue and silver on one side and chartreuse on the backside. Thee transition in the topside is amazing. Not sure how you did it, but the results are stunning. The chinook seem to like the smaller spoons early in the season up in Port Hardy, but I have done well at times with the larger spoons in June. I have seen your lure dots on the forum, but seeing them on the spoon in my hand has me asking "How does he do that". Let me know when your package arrives and give me your feedback.
Once again, thanks.

Tfish

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,568 ·
Tom..thanks once again for the good vibe.

The holograph spoons will work best on a bright day--and with 3 trips for you this year,
I'm sure you'll get into some nice weather.

Can't wait to see/hear how your first jaunt goes!

Best of luck pal, and tight lines-

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,569 ·
How cool---

I sent several packs of these to Ukee, Winter Harbour, Port Hardy, Hakai, Rivers Inlet,
QC, Caamano Sound, Blackfish Sound, Port Hardy, Prince Rupert---and every one has taken several fish already.

Also working in Washington, Oregon and No. Cal.

Can't wait for MY turn in July-

Spoon lure Bait Fishing lure Surface lure Fishing bait

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,572 ·
I received one of those packages of spoons and will work them over. I have a couple that really catch my eye.
Thanks again Big fish Mike. Pics coming soon...
Chris--thanks.

All of them are working. Got a nice note from Tfish up in Port Hardy--25 and 27 lb taken yesterday on the green/yellow.

Can wait to see the photos.--Cheers and tight lines.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mike I wanted to thank you for your most recent shipment of spoons. I just got back from Port Hardy and had a great trip thanks to the 2 sided painted blue/silver spoon you sent me. On the first day I landed a 25 and 27+ chinook and that set the tone for the rest of the trip. The lure was so good that I used it throughout my 5 day trip. During my 4 days of salmon fishing I landed over 40 chinook with the average size around 17-18 pounds. I trolled it behind a glow in the dark chartruce flasher. My leader was 6ft. of 30 pound f.c. The best trolling speed seemed to be around 2.8 mph. As you know I have tried many lures with many different individual riggings, but the above spoon was one of the best I have ever used. It was a chinook slayer; if there were any fish in the area they seemed to inhale the lure. Only missed 2-3 strikes. I attached a 3/0 Gami Big River sickle hook via a 4 barrel swivel. Since I have problems posting some pictures I will send you some shots of fish caught. I am also going to post a video on You Tube of one of the best shots I have made while shooting fishing shots. Its a must see as I think it proves how great the spoon performed.
Please feel free to post the pictures I sent you.
Thanks again, you made one fisherman extremely happy.

TFish

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,575 · (Edited)
Tom..thanks for that report --and the good vibe.

You said there was one particularly hot spell...where you were standing on 'em for a couple hours..I enjoyed your email and this post...felt like I was there.

This is a little different than last year for you. Good on you.

I didn't realize 'til now that you ran a board in front of it... I only use flashers with a hoochie..
(or as a dummy) so that's good to know--- as I never would have tested them that way.

I know they help catch fish...I just hate dragging a fish AND a flasher around. Rarely--I'll use a breakaway flasher,
but that is VERY rarely.

Good luck in Winter Harbour later this week...hoping for more of the same for you.

I'll post those pics for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mike,
I had an 11 inch glow flasher which was connected to a large green sspadder back rudder. I have fished spoons without flashers, but seem to catch more fish with flashers. Had a large sling blade in my box, but never tried it to see how it might work. Last year was a disaster with a host of things that worked against everyone. The Wed bite was one of the best day's I have had on the salt. The bite was on all day for me and most of the fish were in the 15 to 22 pound class. Very few fish were lost as the chinook were aggressive when hitting the spoon and the Gami sickle hooked stuck well.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,578 · (Edited)
Here are the photos Tom sent me.

This is the side traditionally painted on a spoon--looks like the baked-on paint held up well...considering
40+ Chinook took it. Very pleased with that.
The paint on the inside doesn't get chewed up nearly as much, because of the cup shape of the spoon.

Fishing bait Spoon lure Bait Fishing lure Surface lure

One of his many Chinook--chartreuse inside showing on the spoon.

Fish Fish Spoon lure Bait Fishing bait

Happy man at the scale--I believe these are his 25 and 27.

Fish Fishing Bass Vacation Recreational fishing

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,579 ·
Tom passed along this link--he shot some GoPro footage--had his Chinook close enough to start thinking about grabbing the net, when a second Chinook--who knows what he was thinking---did a fly-by of the hooked fish..maybe to try and take a shot at that bright-as-hell Chartreuse spoon--and nearly jumped into the boat.

It's about a minute in...clip is about 5 minutes long in total.

I always fish with a partner, and I now remember that fishing alone has a lot more moving parts--
Playing the fish while steering, adjusting speed, netting-

Good job Tom! Holy hell---I hope you had sunscreen on-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTMFK5dSOcY

1561 - 1580 of 1638 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.