BC Fishing Reports banner

1621 - 1635 of 1635 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,621
Hey guys...

The trip to Rivers Inlet, was, as always, a special week. My 8th consecutive July visit.
Fog delayed the float planes by a day, so last week I returned to work, missing Monday.
There are worse places to be stuck! Full report after I rehydrate, and sort through MILES of GoPro footage.

Paasche airbrushes kick butt over all of the others for what I do.

Grandpa always used to say "Good shit ain't cheap, and cheap shit ain't good."

I'll address a bunch of stuff to get you started in a bit....,
and I'm posting a killer video a buddy did at Duncanby Lodge the week before I went up.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,622
Duncanby Lodge guide Andy "Eagle" Taylor, with a dandy 25 caught on my "Sick Boy" spoon, still in-jaw.
Great young man and excellent fisherman...

At "The Wall" Rivers Inlet BC, on July 28th.

I LOVE seeing this stuff..

Eagleslab.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,624 (Edited)
A contrast in methods/styles and time management.

To maximize any success in producing lures for sale--- the secret is to minimize the production time.

My buddy Jimmy Gull does some very remarkable work--see the first photo-- but with all of the prep/dry time/several passes---hell's bells...it takes him about 15-20 minutes to paint one of these beautiful Kokanee spoons.
He sells them primarily through on tackle shop, and does well.

If he sells them for $7--or $8----well.....do the math. 3 an hour? Less if he takes a break-

Again, I am a HUGE fan of his detail, I could never do that---but I'd starve if I could only make 3 or 4 an hour...also get bored to death.

He also never does free-hand work, always uses stencils and patterns, and does exceptionally well with them.

I, by contrast, ONLY paint free hand....aaaaaah...the beauty of different styles-!

GCS.jpg

I am narrowing my salmon spoon selection to 6 or 8--that's it. I have 8 that hardly ever disappoint.

I've done hundreds--- if not thousands--- of different looks, mostly prototype---but now have enough
input from my hundreds of test pilots to know what seems to work consistently.

I LOVE this look--and found a way to paint 2 or 3 per MINUTE.

I re-purposed an old hand-held orbital sander motor, had one of our ace metal fabrication guys--
MANY THANKS, Dee Robinson--who did some cool tweaking to it.

He attached a stainless steel plate to where the sandpaper goes, and it has hooks to attach several of both size spoon blanks, and I use a high-heat industrial engine paint--and it vibrates while the paint is applied, causing this lightning effect.

So, in theory--in an hour I can paint 100+, he can paint maybe 4.

We both have full time jobs....so I really have to cut as many corners as I can.

But I will always dedicate fishing time each day to have one of his spoons in the water when stacking rods, and also one of Hmmm's.

Glossy.jpg

ILc.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,625 (Edited)
These new additions to the arsenal--old favorites that I tweaked a bit--- are already slaying down deep, but we finished the season strong with them last summer.

CRAP--can't upload the pics--stand by--

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,626 (Edited)
Blue Spruce....the contoured blanks--prism, hex, and hammered-- throw light like crazy---it's all chrome on the belly.

49370457_2324687521144541_6953972773360966315_n(1).jpg

The "Glow Job"
Properly loaded, you can see this from the moon.
Again, the prism blank is a killer-

52051210_976560629216668_3982508126856722687_n(1).jpg

"Lime Slime"--

I have no idea what salmon think this is, but it doesn't matter.
They lunge at this baby.

46305635_133560181007625_8935939557484475012_n(1).jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
from page one back a few years, that hammered or hex pattern green spoon might be from Ontario. Looks like a Northern King, maybe. I bought something similar to it, in yellow/green and it was very successful on springs up at the Charlottes.
I was bored at work doing shifts at evening ,etc. so I thought why not try making a spoon or two. I gathered thin sheet metal, mostly brass. I made patterns of sport spoons by stripping off the split rings, etc. and using masking tape to make a paper pattern. then apply to the brass and cut out a piece of metal with tin snips. punch holes with the sheetmetal punch hand held machine. Painted with underwater primer, then white marine enamel, then some coloured spray paints overtop. re-attach the hardware.
the old gibbs gypsy 3.5 and 2.75 proved successful, as did coyote 3.5, and 5. the sheet metal has to be thin to flutter as these spoon will do, but soon get bent by the fish/ net landing procedures. Fun tho!!!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,631 (Edited)
James---it's a lot of fun, you're right.

I buy my blanks from Lakeland, and from Wright-- I don't actually make them.
Cheap offshore crap easily bends out of a usable condition...these US stamped blanks are really sturdy.

I work for an engineering/manufacturing company and I have access to all
kinds of bullet-proof industrial high-heat coatings and engine paints that the average hobbyist would
have to really work at to source.

I paint from Thanksgiving to about May--I did around 3500 this last season.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,632
If you don't want to do wholesale paint jobs, you can easily tweak/enhance existing lures and spoons with nail polish.
Lots of colors are available. Just paint with them, let dry COMPLETELY, then clear-coat them with any good gloss clear coat in a spray can.

3 thin coats of clear are way better than one or 2 heavy coats.

Don't breathe that stuff---hang the lures to dry in a well-ventilated area or on a string--like a clothesline in your garage.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,633
My buddy Steve Whynott is owner/helmsman/guru of Saltwater Cowboys Fishing Charters,
and operates out of Tofino.

He sent these pics of 24 and 26 lbs chinook taken on my "Jamaican Jolt" and "Sick Boy" spoons.
SO good to see them produce!

JJolt.jpg

SickBoy.jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,634
I have a 4 pack of last season prototypes that S L A Y E D and have started painting a week ago. I will do approximately 3000 from now to May.
(Can't ski EVERY day...)
Stay tuned for some cool new looks...

·
Registered
20 Posts
BFM - Long time, no see! Well, I got moved a lot closer to your digs in the last few months. Now living in a great house we bought in Longview, WA and sitting-out this virus situation. The "cabin-fever" is driving both wife and I nuts - I'd rather be getting some boat work done up in Sitka, but the travel hassles and mandatory quarantines are keeping a lid on those plans - for awhile anyway.

My long range hope for this location is to put together a small shop (much like your's) out behind our house, and incorporate an air-brush paint booth to repaint my chewed-up King and Coho spoons. I hope to get started on a foundation after this summer salmon season. (A guy has to keep busy once the John Deere is shut off and the boat is winterized.) I really enjoyed all of the spoon pictures you emailed me last year - I saw some in there that that got me all "twitchy" to try them offshore of SE-AK in July!

I'll try to keep in touch more regularly now. I hope you and your extended family (and everyone else on this forum) are all evading the COVID-19 infections - what a game-changer! Stay safe - stay home.

1621 - 1635 of 1635 Posts