BC Fishing Reports banner

Homemade spinners

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rpt 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about making some spinners. The only design I can find involves putting your blade on a split ring between two barrel swivels. It seems to me this cause excessive line twist. Would this be the case or am I wrong?

#2 ·
318 said:
I have been thinking about making some spinners. The only design I can find involves putting your blade on a split ring between two barrel swivels. It seems to me this cause excessive line twist. Would this be the case or am I wrong?
no twist. they are the ones I used so often the last year. they are inexpensive and work well for a slow retrieve since they are very light.

G

#6 ·
Steve-O said:
Is there a rule of thumb to go buy when matching a hook to a blade, for example what hook would be best for a #4 colorado?
Just a reasonable match according to what you are targeting. For blade #5 I used hooks Lazer #2, and 3# sometimes. Plain silver blades or blades with some blue color worked always best for me. I am not sure this is allowed but I hear someone also having three to four blades along the line to simulate more fishes BUT, importantly the hook only on the last one.

Be ready to fight with some trouts before getting a salmon though! They love spinners especially if you retrieve very slowly.

Have fun!

G

#8 ·
rpt said:
Does anyone know of a lower mainland source of blue colorado blades? I have never been able to find them and don't like painting my own. Thanks.
Difficult to find. I found them a couple of times at Army and Navy on Columbia Street in New Westminster. I went there few weeks ago and they told me that they were going to order them again (didn't go there yet to check though since I am flyfishing now :thumbup: )

G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.