BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something pretty neat yeserday out in Yarrow. There was a import style truck I keep thinking rav4 , but anyways doesnt matter,.He had the coolest rod holder on the truck. It had a mount that what looked like a suction cup base on the hood and a holder on the roof. just thought it was kinda neat the rod out front ready to go, instead of the box or folded in half in the back. Anyone else seen one like it?
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
413 Posts
I saw that guy last weekend. I thought the same thing. Probably easy to make ;D

· Registered
351 Posts
I have seen one before.But do you really want to put your set-up in the care of a couple of suction cups ??? No fun ending up with a few hundred dollars worth of graphite roadkill just for being too lazy to break down your rod.

· Registered
691 Posts
Alot of us that use Spey rods use them, as long as you stick them on right they holds great. I was running around Spences bridge with about $3000 in gear doing 95kms with them on. They hold good :thumbup:

I know M&Y, and Reaction had some, I don't know who else carries them. There are both magentic and suction types. But they are pricey.

· Registered
209 Posts
My buddy's got a set and they work quite well. He's got the suction ones which IMO, hold better than the magnetic ones. Eliminates the need to break down long spey rods and my 13+ foot pin rod.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have thought the same thing there spoonman but this thing looked secure. He did have a large spey in it.
It did seem handy if you were running from one run to the next. Do you get much contamination from road spray on the gear or do you have to put on reel covers every time?
Crazy D

· Registered
691 Posts
Reel covers are always a good idea, And don't follow to close to anyone ;) Also you have to watch how close the bushes and other obstacles are.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you can make it, OOPs I thought you could comes to mind.
Are they designed for trips like that up to the T, or more for the run and shoot purpose
Crazy D

· Registered
3,796 Posts
I built a set a couple of years ago for under $30

http://www.flyfishbc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370

Dead simple to make. and I have no problem taking my rod on the road . No worry about the rod flying off. It isn't designed to be used when you leave home to hit the "T", but if your fishing lickman, and decide to head up to Allison, they sure do the trick. Like eimaj said, be sure to wrap your reel in a neoprene case. You attach your fly to the reel before casing it up and you are ready to go when you hit the next run. The suction cups used are intended for handling sheets of glass, so the suction is pretty powerful.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
reelangler said:
What if a rock comes up and takes a chunk out of your graphite? Unless theres a way of prevention I don't see how it could be worth the trouble of breaking down one's rod.
Pretty remote chance. Lots of guys use them, haven't heard of that many rocks hitting them. Then again the number of rocks that hit the windshield over a number of years is pretty small too. Windshields are a lot bigger. If you don't see it worth the trouble, don't do it.

· Registered
64 Posts
That kind of rodholders are very popular in Scotland and Scandinavian Countries for quite some years now, especially for Spey rods.
I had my doubts when I saw them for the first time but they managed to survive so sthey must do their work. And the guys I spoke who used those rodholders were all very positive about them!

· Registered
2,676 Posts
You know I've been meaning to make my own set over the past couple of years Proff. Just haven't gott'n around to it. My only question is, do they leave any sort of mark on the paint after prolonged use. I'm guessing not if you keep the suction cups clean. Thought I'd ask anyhow. I'll get around to it eventually. It gets tiring breaking down the 4 peice every time you move from spot to spot. :p

Finder ;)

· Registered
691 Posts
For some of you that don't use Spey rods there is one other thing that makes break down a pain. Alot of guys Tape their ferrules when fishing. This makes break down and set-up a pain if you're switching runs 5-6 times a day.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Anyone who stuffs a gear, or fly rod into a car will eventually get a chip or a door slammed and a bad ooowwwie!.....The outside rack has a lot of advantages...........Ortho 8)

· Registered
3,796 Posts
I hven't had any marking from the suction cups.they are a soft rubber (have to be for the suction to work0. As finder and eimaj have said, breaking down a 4 piece spey isn't the same as a 2 piece fly rod, with taping, restringing the line, storing it away, etc it is probably 10-15 minutes (counting each end). Hit 5 or 6 runs in a day and your looking at a 1/2-1 hour lost fishing time. yeah I could ignore taping, just break it dwon into 4 pieces and toss it into the back of the truck, but, in my mind, that presents more of a risk than the worry of some phantom road debris (which flies out behind my truck). Any of you want to see them for your self, I'll be at Lickman, 8AM Jan 1. :peace:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.