BC Fishing Reports banner

Do you have a favourite 'go to' hook colour?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing what all of you think of hook colour, does it matter?

Do different species of fish or conditions dictate a different colour choice? I have heard the odd mention of 'nickel shy' fish, as well as trout taking a bare red hook fished like a bloodworm.

Not speaking of brand, just talking colour here.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The ones with a fish on it :thumbup:, During this time of year I use black, bronze and red Gammy's,but come dec, I switch to black or bronze.
Abby, does that ceramic coating help prevent the hook bending or is it mainly cosmetic?
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Being new to float fishing, curious why one chooses or prefers certain colors. Not to steal this thread, however it would be helpful and interesting to know what rationale is behind hook color choice and what evidence or experience has led to the decision. If those posting don't mind including this info that would be great.

·
Registered
612 Posts
When needing a bright attractant I tend to use the bright colored hooks....
Pink ones with pink wool and maybe a bight pink worm worked well under a float for the pinks for me,,,orange ones in the squamish for chum with orange peach wool and roe sack are great...
Got to use every advantage you can some times...
Besides , these hooks are quite strong and I use them mostly for that reason...Hate straightened cheapo hooks....

·
Registered
477 Posts
JackFunk: I prefer red most of the time...same in the salt too. For flies I prefer bronze hooks.

I couldn't help but notice you have the Star Blazers ship on your avatar. Wicked! I watched that show when I was like 6 years old. Used to catch it every weekday morning before school. Cool to see!

Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Salmonator said:
fishnfvr said:
Fishaholic said:
No bronze options?????? fan of the EC bronze one of the few that keep the point.....not a fan of gammis garbage hooks for their price
Where do you get those? Never heard of them? (EC bronze)
Eagle Claw bronze is a very common low priced hook

In the bulk buy they cant be beat... loved those 50 packs... strong and stayed sharp... never liked the silver, black or red though.. always had a magor selection of pre-tied leaders as I am alaways takin out first timers. cant beat 50 off all popular sizes for under $40

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.