BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've used both but think the siwash hangs from the spit ring better and has more free movement. I agree with fishortho..offset that hook! Its such a simple thing to do but is amazingly effective in keeping those babies on :thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I tried the new DNE open siwash hooks on my blades yesterday. They seemed to work very well and have a bit of an octupus offset to them. Only lost one fish that I hooked on them and I think that was do to a real crappy hookset. ;D

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's like everything else. There are trade-offs. Open eye siwashes are easiest to put on. The octopuss has the offset. That said, I use Gama open eye siwashes on all spinners I build. They are designed for that use. The octopuss eye is also small and tends to just ride in the narrow spot on a split ring. The siwash is more free to move. They should sized to the spinner. Try both and see what you like best.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, looks like it's unanimous. Octopus/split ring has been my practice for a couple of years now, however think I'll pick up a pack of siwash and try something else...

Rivahman said:
I've used both but think the siwash hangs from the spit ring better and has more free movement.
Rivahman

You hang your siwash from an addtional split ring? Curious why you wouldn't attach it directly to the swivel? Does it add a bit of length to your hook so the blade doesn't lay down over the point?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.