BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question to the masses in regards to hooks. It pretains to larger hooks and I guess, well all hooks in general. I myself have been a long time supporter of Gammy's in the smaller sizes and Eagle Claws for my sturgeon hooks, but over the last year have been finding different styles and am curious as to their effectiveness. I bought some last year on ebay :wallbash: that were described as sturgeon hooks. When they arrived it turns out the hooks were some type of hook for cod fishing ( so I've been told). I tried them and the first fish, which was by no means a large fish 4'r, straighted the shank out. I have noticed these Duratin curved hooks which they swear by hook ups and strength. They look like a awsome hook for holding large roe sacks or other bait, but will the fish spit them easily due to thier curved design. I know fishing is a evolutionary sport, but sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
1,160 Posts
As for Sturgeon, I still feel gammys in sizes 7-9/0 are the best going and have had little to no problems with keeping fish hooked, bending issues and sharpness, often removing the hook is difficult, even though the barb breaks of when pinched.
For Chinooks I have been using those new gammys with a circular looking design, that have an out barb, obviously I pinch the barb, but mention the barb so you know which one to get. Theses hooks severly outfish siwash hooks, which are often used on lure applications, like plugs, spinners and wobblers.
For behind the OLE spin n glo, I stay with 6,7/0 Gammy Octopus style hooks, and have no problem there.
I will be testing Matzuo sickle hooks on Chinooks this spring and have found the design to hold steelhead fairly well so far, these were the very new 60 degree bend sickle jig hooks.

I also have had good success with Owner hooks, but availability and price are an issue with them in Canada.

My 2 cents.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
I'd have to agree with you on all points Rod as I use Gammy's a lot. I have also used Owner Hooks for years but as you say finding them (with the chisel point not the needle point) is a problem and the $$$$. ::)

Even so I usually stock up when I find them.

GOFISH 8)

· Banned
189 Posts
9/0 Gammies for me and the best price is Canadian Tire, never had one straighten out even on fish to 9.5'!

The bigger size means it's easier to get your finger in the bend of the hook to back it out.

A few years ago in a moment of weakness I bought some Daichi "world's sharpest hooks", what a joke! :wallbash:

More like world's dullest-couldn't even make a scratch on my thumbnail and under magnification your could see how dull they were.

Not bad once I used a diamond file but that's not what I paid for is it?! :confused:

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I've switched to the new DNE HOOKS AND HAVE YET TO HOOK A FISH WITH THEM! GONNA SWITCH BACK TO OLD FAITHFULL(GAMMI'S)

· Registered
413 Posts
the new dne hooks are great. they hold the fish and stay sharp for a long time. i was constantly bending any small 1/0 or smaller gammy's.not any more. :eek:

· Registered
57 Posts
I am with the majority on sticking with Gammies all-around (although to be fair I haven't tried the dne's). :confused:

With the circle hooks, they work great but are design for fish that swallow and have a tendancy to hold on the bait. When the hook starts to slide it will get to the point of "highest clamp" pressure (i.e. the jaw) and that is when the hook plants itself (usually in the corner of the jaw) - that is when you set the hook to make sure its good and buried. Not sure how good this is with sturgeon (not my field of experience) but works great on bottom fish, freshwater lingcod, pike, etc.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
I love to stock up with GAMI's!!! :happy:

I'm such a nerd I just spent 35mins counting them all lol...I have the following:

#6: 25
#4: 75
#2: 50
#1: 25
1/0: 30
2/0: 32
3/0: 126
4/0: 3
6/0: 27
7/0: 83
8/0: 49
9/0: 68

I tried DNE hooks this yr...they worked ok..and are priced well..I was 1 for 2 while using them steelheading....and 12/13 using them flossing for rockin sockin's...I got a 25 pack of these hooks for free to try out...and well...I think I threw out 20 of them due to the points breaking off!!!!!

Mike <")))))))><

G

·
I tried the mazuo hooks last year and although they weren't spectacular, they worked well. I went back to the old tried and true gammi's this year, or maybe try the dne's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.