BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering :confused: how big of a fish can a 2106LB really handle i know the ratings i belive are 6-12lbs and the "L" versions are a slow action compared to the "b" blank which are med...but let say if i hook a 20lbs spring can it handle it or would it too much on her.

scruffy

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've had 20-25 lbs of fish on mine and it performed well. If you are on a big river like the Fraser or Thompson it may be too light.But small to medium rivers like the Vedder or Stamp it's great.

Hotrod

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hotrod said:
I've had 20-25 lbs of fish on mine and it performed well.

Hotrod
wow that's good to hear...as it's my favorite rod to use and i figure if i'm going for coho and jacks it would be awsome but i was hesitant to bring it to the vedder...just in case i end up hooking one of the bigger springs and not being able to bring it in.

scruffy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Scruffs, why thrash your favorite rod? A sage 2 power is not made for chinook. Sure it will work but why beat up your tackle & stress out the fish. Some of those fall run kings are huge!! :happy: The 2106 L or M is a beauty rod to use, so light & sensitive, nice in the hands...you won't think this after a few whiteys. Unless you want to spend 45 minutes with every big hen best to go with something heavier.

Chinook demand big hooks, big leader, big baits all of which the 2106 is uncomfortable with. These big fish dictate we use 12, 15, 20 or even 25lb leader, which means big wire hooks. The 2106 does well with small wire hooks not a 2/0. IMO these rods do great with fish in the coho/small steelhead category

·
Registered
886 Posts
I must disagree with you Jack...I have battled many large springs with mine on the Vedder and never had a 45min fight let alone stress these fish out.Plus I use no larger than a size 1 hook and ten pound leader. The leader will break before the hook will bend. To fight a fish properly, its all about the angle presure you use. On the larger rivers it is a different ball game like hot rod said. :2cents:

:cheers: sage

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sage2106, 10lb test for big ******?? That is just not fair to the fish. ??? Like I said it will work fine but why....there are rods made for these fish. What do you think these rods were made for? Just too light IMO.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i have targetted whites with a 6 1/2 foot trout rod in the Chehalis worked great LOL :thumbup: i have taken 40lbers on an 8.5 foot level wind rod in the fraser performed wicked. also taken some big whites on an 8wt fly rod and the 2106 cant be much lighter than that. i only have a 3113 CP rod so i cant say if a lighter one would be to much as i horse those brutes in pretty good no matter what im fishing with and i dont go over 12lb for a leader as my mainline is only 15lb.

should be fun saturday using my 9wt spey though ;D

HOOK

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you to all for the input as since i can't decide what to bring i'll just bring both rods and have to try it out ;D .
sage2106lb said:
i too only use 10lbs leader and have never had any problems with landing big fish but that was done when i was on a baitcaster.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Scruffy, it would seem that people have missed your regular intention...

scruffy said:
hotrod said:
I've had 20-25 lbs of fish on mine and it performed well.

Hotrod
wow that's good to hear...as it's my favorite rod to use and i figure if i'm going for coho and jacks it would be awsome but i was hesitant to bring it to the vedder...just in case i end up hooking one of the bigger springs and not being able to bring it in.

scruffy
As you said, if your going out for coho or jacks and accidentally hook into a big white. From the information gathered, it looks like you would be fine.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have yo say I agree with jack and some of the others on their points as well. I'll be using a heavier rod too for those big boys.A sage 4110 and 3106. Last year I used the 2106 for some big coho and it performed well but one time I hooked into a big chum and I specifically remember thinking that I needed a heavier rod as the chums were schooling me with the lighter rod. I'll actually be fishing the 2106 for steelhead and coho_Of course this was only one incident and the rod still performed superb!

Smart to bring both rods just in case! :thumbup:

Hotrod

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh man after yesterdays outting i think's me's gonna bring the 3113 from now on for the for the biggins...as when my float disappeared on the two hard takes either big spring or chum i figure as i never seen them they took off like freight trains pin was screaming :eek: rod was bented don't think the 2106 would of had enough back bone to control the larger fish.

scruffy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.