BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried fishing with roe one time last year and what a mess, lol. I was hoping that someone could answer some of my questions....I live in Abbotsford and will be fishing the Vedder with a bait cast set up, short floating.
1) Where is a good place to buy the roe? (2) how much can I expect to pay? (3) I believe there are different kinds of roe, like single eggs and clumps (I know my lingo is bad), (4) How much to you take to river for a few hours of fishing? (5) Can you bring at back home at end of day and still re-use another time or is it now wasted (6) Do most of you store in fridge or freezer? (7) if in freezer, do you need to thaw over night before fishing next day? (8) I believe I have seen guys at Vedder last year with some kind of a container attached to a belt, is this what I should buy (I have Simms brand breathable waders with a waist belt) (9) how much do I put in bait loop and how many casts should it last. (10) I hear of some people adding a drop or two of a bottled scent, is this really necessary? (11) Do I use same set up as if using wool - 16-20 inch leader with pencil lead and float?

If anyone has any links to a good website on how to make your own roe, I sure would appreciate. I have read a few articles yet must say did have some confusion on the steps involved.

I know there is alot of questions here but I have been having trouble finding these answers. I do hope that someone will share so we all can learn.

Thanks in advance,
Kingfisher2006

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I can tell you that having a waist container will greatly help and you can get them at Canadian Tire. making roe isnt that hard actually but yes reading how to do it and doing it are different LOL but making truly awesome roe is an art all its own.

hopefully Kingpin,Shane or even Hotrod can help you out as they seem to be the top gut chuckers around here :cheers:

·
Registered
201 Posts
1) Freds custom tackle in Chilliwack sells some ok procured roe, which is usually good, but have had a bad container from them.
2) 7 bucks for a 1 1/2 cups, or 11 bucks for 3 cups of roe.
3) Yes there are single eggs which are single hard eggs that have been prepared by boiling in hot salt water.
There is also clusters which is just roe cut up and cured the way you want, borax and procured are popular methods.
4) If your using procured, salted or boraxed roe take as much as you would like, as you can re-freeze it.
5) Not wasted, reusable, try adding some more borax after using it fishing for the day, this will get rid of any moisture that happens to find its way into your container.
6) I store roe in the freezer unitl its time to take the ultimate weapon to the river. But keep it in your fridge
2 days before fishing, or youll be fishing a frozen block of roe. Best to keep it in fridge when fishin season is open.
7) Yes
8) Roe fanny packs are very handy to have, make sure when your bending over to wash you hands after touching the roe, that the roe juices to not run out off the top and all over your good waders. (container lid doesnt always work great) Fasen a towl to your belt too.
9) how much roe you put on your hook is up to you. I like to match the roe chucks to the size of hooks im using. depending how how well your roe was cured, anywhere from 3-12 casts before your roe loses its shape. But you can really toughen your roe up by adding more borax, which you could get well over 30 casts, but this takes away from the softer texture.
10) You could add your own scent to your roe, I dont know how effective thats going to be since roe has its own very strong scent.
11)Yes. When fishing clear low water cut your float in half and use split shots, hold back when drifting to lift you presentation off bottom and this allows your bait to be the first thing that comes into the fishes view.

Some people say some fish prefer procured colour roe, over plain boraxed roe or vice-verca. I prefer to use a toughened up boraxed roe when fishing.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
1. I've never bought cured roe from Fred's, only from Berry's, and thats only when in dire need LOL. I have bought fresh roe from Bruce's Market in Maple Ridge then cured it myself.
2. At Berry's its roughly $10 per pound.
3. There are different types of roe/eggs. Single eggs are usually referred to as singles, while chunks are referred to as roe. Roe can be tight like that often found in brighter fresher fish, or a bit looser which is found in slightly colored fish. The dark colored fish will be the ones with singles.
4. Depends on the type of water being fished. Faster flows will cause the roe to be ripped apart and fall off the hook faster, while slow flows and pools will allow it to last a lot longer. For a couple hours of fishing an average flow I'd say probably just under half of a bait box.
5. Yes it can be brought home and stored again in the fridge(if fishing again soon) or refrozen if its gonna be awhile before you head out again.
6 & 7. After I cure my roe it gets frozen until I'm ready to use it, I usually toss it in the fridge a day or two before I head out so it can thaw.
8. Bait box
9. Your pieces of roe should vary as per the water conditions and hook size. Dirty water means bigger pieces and larger hooks, low clear water means smaller pieces and smaller hook. As a rule of thumb you'll basically want enough roe to cover the hook and the lifetime of the piece will depend on the type of water being fished.
10. Not necessary at all, its totally up to your personal preference.
11. Yes
12. From a post awhile back.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Shane said:
1. I've never bought cured roe from Fred's, only from Berry's, and thats only when in dire need LOL. I have bought fresh roe from Bruce's Market in Maple Ridge then cured it myself.
2. At Berry's its roughly $10 per pound.
3. There are different types of roe/eggs. Single eggs are usually referred to as singles, while chunks are referred to as roe. Roe can be tight like that often found in brighter fresher fish, or a bit looser which is found in slightly colored fish. The dark colored fish will be the ones with singles.
4. Depends on the type of water being fished. Faster flows will cause the roe to be ripped apart and fall off the hook faster, while slow flows and pools will allow it to last a lot longer. For a couple hours of fishing an average flow I'd say probably just under half of a bait box.
5. Yes it can be brought home and stored again in the fridge(if fishing again soon) or refrozen if its gonna be awhile before you head out again.
6 & 7. After I cure my roe it gets frozen until I'm ready to use it, I usually toss it in the fridge a day or two before I head out so it can thaw.
8. Bait box
9. Your pieces of roe should vary as per the water conditions and hook size. Dirty water means bigger pieces and larger hooks, low clear water means smaller pieces and smaller hook. As a rule of thumb you'll basically want enough roe to cover the hook and the lifetime of the piece will depend on the type of water being fished.
10. Not necessary at all, its totally up to your personal preference.
11. Yes
12. From a post awhile back.
Shane the cured roe from freds is from berrys

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not a big fan of any of the store bought roe, but if I didn't have any of my own I would buy it from Chilliwack Dart and Tackle first and my second choice would be Fred's. I would only buy the pro-cure double stuff red hot and def. not the single eggs (usually tied into clusters with netting).

I fish almost exclusively with row and have huge success now that I have years of practice making my own. When I was new to it, I bought a book that is just awesome called "Egg Cures proven Recipes and Techniques" by Scott Haugen.

Whether you start making your own or or buy the store bought, I would take the time to tie them up into little clumps with roe netting. It gives you way more fishing time (helps keep the roe together) and I have found I get just as many hook-ups as roe clumps without the netting. I know some guides who believe the netting gets caught in their teeth for a second or two when they bit, giving you a tiny bit of extra time for the hook set.

A few years ago I also started fishing with pro-Cure treated shrimp. I just use raw shrimp (you can buy bags of 45 from Walmart frozen foods section for $8). I thaw them out, peel them and sprinkle some Pro-Cure (double stuff red hot) on for ~ 1/2 hour, stir a few times, let dry on paper towel for a few hours and then just freeze until ready to use. On days where roe doesn't seem to be working, shrimp usually does and vica versa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.