BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While throwing some flies along the beaches of the North Shore on the weekend, I did catch a couple of nice cutts' in the 12-14 inch size, but I did have a take by a fish in the 3-5 lb. range..I got a really good look at him as he chased down my fly just before I lifted.....Trouble is I didn't really sting him, and I am looking for some ideas and experience as to how you can get a fish like that to come back to the fly?......Ortho 8)

· Banned
2,854 Posts
thats a good question Ortho. i bet all of us would love to know how to turn those big fish back around to strike again :thumbup: sometimes you can sometimes you cant :confused: its all a mystery LOL did you try another fly pattern or the same one either smaller or bigger? this could have helped

· Registered
1,160 Posts
I say rest him and hope he doesn't move away, 15 minutes minimum, the wait is painful but should let the fish forget the unnatural occurence. While I spend little time with cutties these days in the past I found this to work for them and certainly use this technique when fising steelhead. If you prick the fish and get a roll then I usually come back an hour later, but with migratory cutthroat this would probably be futile.

Or just coat your fly with power bait ;), heard that works well ;D.

· Registered
115 Posts
Like Hook said, it's hit and miss when that happens.

If you didn't sting him change to a completely different fly and change the retreive. I have found in the past especially Cutthroat will come back and take. :thumbup:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
fishortho said:
So some powerbait & a little Founder's Reserve and I'm all set..........???.............Ortho 8)
Yup, one for the fly and one for the belly (or two or more while your resting the fish) :cheers:

· Registered
232 Posts
Is it easy to fish on the North shore? I have always wondered if the cutties would be a good option if the springs are not biting. Where would I go? Can I fish out of my boat or would it be better to walk in??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.