BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking to be a smart ass here, just an honest question regarding the sockeye fishery. I was thinking today with such a long opening this year there must be a ton of fish being stacked into the freezers of many fisherman. i myself have been out 3 times with a total of 6 fish being put to good use to feed my family and i feel that is probably enough to get us by untill the coho season is upon us to hopefully gather a few more fish to sustain us untill the next run of fish. SO how much is enough for the rest of you guys and gals when it comes to socks being harvested?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
A couple of days ago, I put 4 smoked sockeye (in pieces of course) in the fridge knowing that my kids and their friends eat it like candy. Two days, a couple of smoked salmon and chanteril mushroom fettuccine dinners, some snacking well a lot of snacking and it's almost gone. I got these fish from the salt but know I am thinking, I need to get a few more to last throughout the winter. If you can ensure it will get eaten and we don't do anything illegal or unethical, then I say fill your boots. It's pretty rare for sport fisherman to get a harvest fishery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've also wondered that...How often do you guys eat fish? I don't eat a lot, and it's always blown my mind how many fish people keep. I would assume there is a lot of freezer burnt waste out there...which is sad

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
People are filling thier freezers full. The ones i know are filling thier freezers to the brim.Smoking and canning like mad to get a supply of sockeye for the coming lean yrs. Ive lost count on how many fish i have taken home for the freezer,probally around 25 or so sockeyes and a couple of springs so far. Processing is now my next task,its time to fire up the smoker and get the canner out from grammas cupboard, and start getting my cupboards stocked up again with canned sockeye and the freezer with smoked vacuum packed sockeye for a supply that should last a few yrs untill the next opening in 4 yrs.With this recession one never knows where the next meal may come from.I know where mine will!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
But how do you deal with freezer burn? I've even had fish professionally packed (in Tofino) and I still had major problems with it!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
But how do you deal with freezer burn? I've even had fish professionally packed (in Tofino) and I still had major problems with it!
I must say that i'm surprised to hear that. The processor i work with has the best machine available and i've experienced very little seal failure. It's important to not bounce the packages around too much as they become a bit brittle.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I only smoke as much as we can eat in a yr.If i see we are not eating enough smoked then i will give the rest away to family and friends.The majority of the catch will be canned which lasts up to 5 yrs.I dont think there is too much one can do to avoid freezer burn after a yr.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have probably canned 6, my folks have canned four, We have smoked a couple and froze a bunch more in vaccum sealed packages. We double seal the ends of the bags so the seal should not be a problem. We try to eat fish once a week . We have also given a few fish to friends and other relatives. We have just tried vaccum sealing some smoked fish so that it will keep longer than just in the fridge.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Yeh vacuum seal your smoked fish and put it in the freezer,it will keep for up to a yr without getting freezer burn.Nice to pull out a package of smoked in the winter months to make a nice sandwhich while out on the river steelheading.:thumbup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
We love fish! I've loaded my freezer with about 70 pinks from last year run and a few trouts and it all gone by now (wife, me and 8 kids) Mostly smoked. Never thought we had too much. This year only harvested 2 halis - 57 lbs total, 3-4 trouts, and 4 socks so far - too busy at work

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
i thought it was illegal to have more than 2 days posetion even at home.
Can only possess Daily limit x 2 in your possesion outside of your Home. There is no limit on the amount of sockeye you can harvest as long as you do not exceed your Daily limit and have no more then 4 sockeye per person in your possesion,for the ones who stay somewhere over night.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
If you fillet the fish it will burn quickly. Vacuum sealing slows it down but will not stop it. I feel the best way is to freeze it whole... thaw, then process. You will lose way less to burn as the skin and the membrane in the belly will keep the burn out of the meat.

2 pressure cookers rocking away right now and should have about 100 jars by the end of the day :thumbup:
Been a long time

·
Registered
364 Posts
I bought a Foodsaver and it works awesome. I smokedfour socks and ate a couple of sides and cryovaced the rest. All my fish are cryovaced and frozen right away. It will last about 6 months, so calculate how much fish you eat per month and that should give you an idea on how much fish you need. I set out with 15 as a number because I like to try to eat healthier and I like smoked sockeye for Christmas time.

·
Banned
151 Posts
If you fillet the fish it will burn quickly. Vacuum sealing slows it down but will not stop it. I feel the best way is to freeze it whole... thaw, then process. You will lose way less to burn as the skin and the membrane in the belly will keep the burn out of the meat.

2 pressure cookers rocking away right now and should have about 100 jars by the end of the day :thumbup:
Been a long time
I just have to thank you fishaholic for the tip on freezing. I've frozen MANY filets and when opening them always thought I had improperly sealed the bag. Glad to know I'm not so inept after all!!

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I agree 100%...Freeze them whole they will last alot longer...I start processing right away after i have enough stocked up in the freezer.Going to have a nice supply for the coming months!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always have a big salmon dinner when I get home from fishing if I am successful. Freeze a few steaks and fillets and smoke the rest. Smoked is used as appetizers for both home and if going to someones house. We eat fish, not always salmon 3 to 4 nights a week, I think 2 fish twice a month is fair during salmon season. I also make my own roe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cut fillets into portion size chunks then cover 2 pcs. each in salt water in large size sour cream container and freeze. It will keep a year that way.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts