BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19' North River Sportster. I have a 28 lb. River Anchor that I currently have 6' of chain on. That is plenty for the rivers down here because most of them are sand bottoms. Last year it just skipped across the rocky bottom of the Fraser. I just bought another 15' which will make 21' of chain total. Will that be enough?

·
Registered
419 Posts
My friends has a 28 lb with 10' of chain for his 14'. Try a 40lb

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey skagit3

I have a 14' aluminum and I am currently using a 40 lb anchor and about 15' of chain. I switched last year from the same amount of chain but a 25lb anchor. I was having trouble holding in any water other than fairly tight to shore. I have not had any trouble anchoring since I switched.

The general rule of thumb that I have been told is at least one foot of chain for every foot of boat.

I would say if you are going to be trying to anchor in the Fraser that you should have at least a 40lb anchor and about 20' of good chain.

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey cap, I think that 7:1 ratio is for the length of rope or chain as compared to depth of water to safely anchor. I read it in one of the mags, I think it was pertaining to fishing on the Columbia
Crazy D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went out today and I was able to hook up with a little bit of effort and positioning. A 40 LB would be much nicer to stay in the really fast current. Man.....We hooked a pig today!! Ended up losing him shortly after throwing the anchor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.