BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading relentless post on PFD'S I'm just wondering how much is your life worth?

I dont normally wear a PFD when running lower fraser/chilliwack/harrison......although I do have one very close by in the boat, all minor passengers wear one. I usually leave it up to the passengers unless I know they cant swim or there is some danger.

when I run something like the upper pitt/indian/thompson ect........... I wear one, ALLWAYS.

so how much is your life worth?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Get one of those inflatable vests for wearing in the boat, best thing I ever did. I starting re-thinking things after the first kid, started really thinking about things after the second. Mind you it wasn't until the wife started reading my life insurance policy that I actualy started wearing one a life vest ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wonder how many people have trouble pulling the "cord" on the inflatables when they are flailing about in the water.

I hear many people say "I DONT WEAR EM CAUSE THERE TOO BULKY"

What if you fall into the water and BONK your head, who pulls the cord then?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Two rules in my boat, #1 Life jackets worn, #2 No alcohol. I can't swim and was saved twice as a young lad, the third time was Sept. 15, 2003 wading a river with my son when we were swept off our feet by the current. My son made it to shore and turned to look for me, my waders had filled and I went under, when I came up my son was ready to jump back in to get me but I yelled at him not to but to grab my fishing rod and pull me in so I could get my footing. Needless to say he saved my life that day. Now when I know theres any chance I'll be wading I always wear a set of Mustang inflatable suspenders. So for the sake of a couple of hundred dollars I always play it safe now. So how about everyone else, why take a chance, how much is your life worth? Good time to bring this topic up JBJ with the fast approaching fall and winter fisheries. BTW I am now 56 years old and you know who I'll always look to as my hero, ayup my son.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That's intresting points on the inflatable vests. I thought of picking one up, but came to that thought too,if i'm thrown in the water and injured how can i pull the cord. I am guilty like most, i do where mine when I'm moving the boat , but when anchored I usually have it off. If your thrown from the boat when you hit something I dont think your going to have the wit's to swim. I had a nieghbour out last year with me and had him drop a dock bumper in to show him how long it would take to break away anchor get turned around and retrieve it. To say the least he wears his vest now. Dont forget that waters mighty cold, strength zapping, Cant say I'd want to tread water for more than a couple minutes in there
Crazy D

G

·
How many people test their inflatable vests ???? there are a lot of people still using the original cylnder that came with the vest. I read somewhere that the inflatable vesta should be tested on yearly basis but how many do ????

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
When wading rivers, I have a Mustang inflatable fishing vest. The odds of you falling and hitting your head are really pretty slim. Your biggest worry is getting swept off your feet in water thigh deep or better. It is tough to hit your head hard enough to incapacitate you in water that deep. If you fall and do knock yourself out, you are probably ankle deep (or less ). When in my pontoon or 12' a;uminum, I wear the suspender style PDF or my fishing vest. Doesn't matter if it is moving water, or still, anchored or running. The vest and the suspenders each cost me less than $150 (they are 4 years old), but even at the current price (about $225 i think) they are cheaper than a funeral. I change my CO2 cartridges every 2 years just like the manufacturer suggests. (no more sense testing them than testing a box of matches)

·
Registered
224 Posts
What about in still waters? Do you or dont you? I am terrible for not wearing one. I am going to go and buy one soon though. I have lots of regular lifejackets but those ones that hang around your neck or the inflatable vests is what I am going to purchase. I want one for all occasions including wading rivers.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey great post Jim. :cheers: At best I'm not a strong swimmer. I know I should, but I often don't sport a proper PFD when wading rivers. Even though I do have a PFD/Fishing vest with a rip cord. Although I always wonder how well it would work if I ever needed it. :confused: On still waters I never where one. As previously mentioned, bulkiness would be the excuse. Not a great one though. Running rivers in smaller craft, I always wear one. Something to think about for sure. :confused:

Finder

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are a few different designs of auto-inflating suspender vests. Some will inflate if they get wet wile others need to be submersed. Both will inflate automatically even if you bump your heed. They do cost a bit more than the manual rip cord model, well worth the extra $$. It makes sense to have a rearming kit on hand as well, in the boat or vehicle. :2cents:

Baiter

·
Registered
708 Posts
masterbaiter said:
There are a few different designs of auto-inflating suspender vests. Some will inflate if they get wet wile others need to be submersed. Both will inflate automatically even if you bump your heed. They do cost a bit more than the manual rip cord model, well worth the extra $$. It makes sense to have a rearming kit on hand as well, in the boat or vehicle. :2cents:

Baiter
they only way to go when boating. The bulky "foamies" get in the way too much when either rowing or having to manoeuvre a tiller j-boat quickly in some small creek. Much more mobility in an auto-inflating vest

·
Registered
85 Posts
I always were a Mustang auto-inflatable. I never wore a pfd in the past but having a family sure changed the way I think! I am a non swimmer so the auto inflate feature is very important. My wife wears the same kind of vest when we are out boating
Our vest's are still less than a year old, so I assume they are fine but I was told that you should take out the cylinder and weigh it from time to time - if it is at a certain weight, it is fine, but I can't remember what exactly that weight is. Got to go back to the store and ask.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yamadirt426 said:
my inflatable vest is suppose to inflate when it hits the water. Allthough i should replace the co2. It has a pull cord as well. I thought they were all like that. I guess not
What happens when it rains ??? :happy:

G

·
Has anyone really tried out the inflatable vest ???? If you don"t try it out there is always a little doubt in the back of your head saying will it really work if I need it . With this hot weather we are having just test it out in a swimming pool and all doubt's will disappears . Not all vests are perfect just like cars ,it could of been made on a friday evening just before quitting time . A friend of mine had a manual pull type inflatable vest ,he was lucky he tried it out in a swimming pool because it did not work. The pull device would not puncture the cylinder . Be sure and test your vest .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.