BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to see how often you fellas change your line on your reel? I usually wait til it goes white then take off 15-20 yds til it's clear. Then when this part of my line gets white I'll go change it to new line. I'm very picky when it comes to fresh new clean line. That puts new line on my reel at least every ten days..,am I being too picky?

What's your routine when it comes to this??

Hotrod

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I put on new mono for the steelhead season, and usually get the season out of one line. If I suffer a couple of longer breakoffs, I will respool....New line for every species, every year (mono, that is)
The most important thing, is to check your line VERY CAREFULLY before you setup to make sure there are no frays,nicks, or abraisions on the line........Ortho 8)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Like you hotrod, I will strip off the whitish tired line back to the clean mono. Otherwise I will usually get one good season out of a spool of line. Generally around christmas I will respool, then again in the summer...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
fishortho said:
I put on new mono for the steelhead season, and usually get the season out of one line. If I suffer a couple of longer breakoffs, I will respool....New line for every species, every year (mono, that is)
The most important thing, is to check your line VERY CAREFULLY before you setup to make sure there are no frays,nicks, or abraisions on the line........Ortho 8)
same here!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I throw new mono on my spinning gear every season. I've got two spools for my reel so I put 8lb on one and 4lb on the other.

As for fly line, I've only gone out twice and at the price of a good line, I'm not changing it until it's literally falling off the reel, LOL.

·
Registered
708 Posts
mono line usually lasts at close to full strenght for about 7 days of hard fishing. The biggest deal will be how you fish. Example, if you use 25lb main and 20lb leader, these are reasonably close in line strenght and if you fish long days the line will wear out sooner. If on the other hand you use 20lb main and 10lb leader, you can get many more than 7 days or so out of you main line. Another factor that changes things around lots is the different brands you may use. Not all line rated 10lb on the package really breaks at 10lb. You may find that maxima ultragreen breaks around 15-16lbs and trilene xl breaks around 13-14lbs. Lots of lines are under rated so that we as the consumer think that a product is great because brand x's 10lb can tow a truck.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i normally put new line on before steely season and then fish it the rest of the year till i change it again before steely time. I do however fish the flt rod alot in between this time :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy camoli!
A whole season out of line! I couldn't stand it seeing it so dirty and dry! I guess this is a case of confidence.I prefer to have my line changed at least after seven days of fishing. I feel that if my line is clean the more inivisible it will be and stealth is everything to me.!

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just reverse it onto another reel. That way the old line is now on the bottom where it never gets used and the new line that used to be on the bottom is now on top. This is also alot better for the enviroment as you respool less. :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.