BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to figure out how to attach an aluminum plate that has our fishfinder speed senors on it to the
transom of our aluminum boat without drilling holes below the water line. And its new so we really don't want
to drill holes. People have suggested epoxy but that didn't work(tried it on spare aluminum bits) or people have
suggested JB weld. The aluminum plate we want to add is 15 in. high and we have already screwed it to the top
of the transom and need some way to glue it to the rest of the transom. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
578 Posts
If ya want it to stay ya got to screw it on
Most transoms are quite thick & a stainless fastener combined with a quality adhesive, sealer will do the job
Good luck,
I too hated drilling into my boat............But sometimes you gotta!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
drill it and bolt it and goop silicone in bolt holes before u bolt it and seal edges. drilling holes suck but best way to do it

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do as Skunked420 suggests. And make sure you don't skip out on the silicon. Using silicon makes it almost gel to the boat like it's part of the structure.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
There are plenty of apoxy products out there that will more than do the job. Locktight 8400 for one. Set it and forget it.

Cheers Marko

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Why not take it to a boat shop and have the plate spot welded on? 'Least that way it wouldnt difficult to get of and not as messy

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I would suggest welding it too. I have PM'd you a reliable marine aluminum welder in Mission. A friend of mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas but went another way. Went to Lordco and used a product they suggested called RapdFix. Thought about welding
but didn't want to screw up the anti-leak warranty in any way and drilling just didn't appeal. If this product doesn't work we will have to
drill. Hope this works, it is a ploymer glue that cold welds.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
If you saw the repairs marko has done to his boat using Locktite 8400, you would know the way to go.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Sorry arrgh no pics. but it's not about what you see rather what you can't see. The theory is the adhesion is solid , uniform evenly spread out and cold formed allowing for
maximum grip with minimum adverse affects. What a hot weld will do is distort and weaken the surrounding mateinal.
Ran some of my own tests with a 10,000lb lifting scale and was blown away wit the resaults.

Marko

1 - 11 of 11 Posts